Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74 Spyder - I took the cowl cover off to inspect the drain tubes and do some general cleaning up. The caulking at the base of the windshield is dry and falling apart. Would black RTV be a good product to use here?

I also found some surface rust on the underside of the cowl piece. I am treating that and will post some photos during the week.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
That original type caulking is available locally. It comes in a flat box, and in packed in strips. It is kind of like silly puddy with fiber strings mixed in, but it does not harden until it gets very old. It is a 3M auto product. You can usually buy it at local auto parts stores; I am pretty sure Advanced Auto has it. About $8.00 a box and one box is a lot of product. If you replace what you have with new now, It will stay with you and continue to do it's job for many years to come. Some people call it auto caulk, some call it auto dopey.

You will probably never use up one box. It is also very useful for sealing up seam openings and packing around hoses and wireing where they go through the firewall etc.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

Reactions: Norseman50
1 - 2 of 2 Posts