Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '83 has the radio antenna integrated into the windshield, which I always figured was an improvement in the Spider's evolution. But then I've noticed some newer cars have an external antenna.....just curious, is the windshield antenna something they tried for a few years and decided it wasn't so great? Mine seems to be effective, though I've only tested it a couple times here at home (just got the stereo installed).

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
range generaly suffered as well as clarity on the windshield setups...the idea was less "wind noise" as some fender mounted units will actualy howl thats why higher end cars have them mounted in the rear of the car

the other problem was/is that when the windshield gets replaced that the hookup isnt always ?glued? correctly and pops off

i think just about every company out there had a windshield setup at 1 point and simply dissmissed it as rubish

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
My '83 has the radio antenna integrated into the windshield, which I always figured was an improvement in the Spider's evolution. But then I've noticed some newer cars have an external antenna.....just curious, is the windshield antenna something they tried for a few years and decided it wasn't so great? Mine seems to be effective, though I've only tested it a couple times here at home (just got the stereo installed).
The built in windshield antenna does not pull signals as well as a traditional antenna. It's not bad however, and unless you go from your Spider to another one with a mast style antenna, you probably won't be aware of the weaker reception. (I have 2 Spiders with mast antennas, and one with a windshield antenna.) Clarity is fine. It's just that the range is not as good. All this said, I have no intention of ever replacing the windshield antenna set-up on my '84 Spider. I like the unique pattern, as well as the clean body, and I am fine with the reception...

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
i should have mentioned it befor....try adding in a signal booster to your windshield unit..it sometimes helps considerably

out here on the west where were tree'd in we lose reception ALOT on the windshield units

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, well I'm out here in AZ and the mountains tend to wreak havoc with signals anyway....I'm not sure if a conventional antenna would help pick up a signal if a mountain's blocking it in the first place. :p Actually I don't really listen to commercial radio a lot (it's mostly the boring repetitive junk that the record labels push upon the populace) so I think I'll stick with the windshield arrangement.

The wire actually has come unglued on my car, it's one of my to-do items while the dash is out (tested the radio by holding the wire next to its contact spot on the windshield).

Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised by how well the in-windshield antenna works in our '84 Spider. Certainly well enough that I've not even considered installing an external antenna.

BTW, for those with a broken/loose cable to antenna connection, Permatex makes a conductive glue sold for repairing heated rear window electrical connectors. I wonder if that'd work for the antenna connection? My local auto parts store didn't stock it but they ordered some for me (to repair a heated rear window connector). Sit down when you ask the price - it was about $10 for enough glue to fix 1-2 connectors!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yikes, think I'll use my general purpose automotive glue. :) Works great for gluing the knobs/handles to the little side windows. Since the antenna only conducts RF and doesn't need to carry any current, it shouldn't make a huge difference if there's no physical contact between the antenna lead and the strip on the windshield.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange, my usual stations came in awesome when I just held the connector thing against the windshield strip, and there's enough built-up crud to keep the surfaces from touching. Perhaps the crud is just old conductive glue.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
ShOrtlife has understated the case when he said HUGE. None of that stuff works without a proper circuit. You can fix it, no problem. My cars have window tint inside so it makes a different issue for repairs.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...stations came in awesome when I just held the connector thing against the windshield strip, and there's enough built-up crud to keep the surfaces from touching. ...
That's right, but use the wrong glue and you will be kicking yourself...

Best regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts