Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When switching on the wipers on my GTAm replica (Based on 1973 GTV Coupe)the wipers stop halfway but motor is still trying to turn them , sort of clicking with motor sound. If I get out and give the blades a shove , they move then stop again.
Would this be motor problems or the mechanism ? Sounds like a cog jumping if that makes any sense.
How do I get at it , as I can see the mechanism through the open grill louvres in front of the windscreen which looks impossible .

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is your windshield and trim glued on as opposed to a rubber gasket?... there are two screws (one on each side) under the bonded windshield trim that holds down the louver cover, which makes simple access to the wiper motor area a challenge. Unfortunately, you may be headed in that direction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a rubber seal , so is it a windscreen out job then ? I assume from your reply you think it's the motor gear not the mechanism that links wipers to the motor ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
You'll need to get the scuttle panel off to access either. Not necessarily a screen out job, but apparently fiddly (I didn't risk it and got the garage to do it). On the AROC UK forum members suggested putting string under the rubber when you put the panel back so you can tease it over the panel, another recommended using a teflon spatula to ease the rubber over the panel.

On mine there are four screws at the front edge of the scuttle panel that need to be removed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need to get the scuttle panel off to access either. Not necessarily a screen out job, but apparently fiddly (I didn't risk it and got the garage to do it). On the AROC UK forum members suggested putting string under the rubber when you put the panel back so you can tease it over the panel, another recommended using a teflon spatula to ease the rubber over the panel.

On mine there are four screws at the front edge of the scuttle panel that need to be removed.
H'mmm , don't like the sound of that Nigel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it all came out and apart ok in an hour an a half but didn't rush it , in case of scratching paintwork ! The cause of the wiper blades stopping mid cycle is that the little nylon gearwheel inside the wiper motor is worn for about 25mm's of it's edge , so the drive worm can't urn it --- hence the motor still whizzing around but no wipers. Suppose a new motor's required , as I bet you can't buy spare gearwheels aye ???
I've been spending money on this little car ever since the engine rebuild/upgrade and I thought that was '' it '' at the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Motor arrived first thng in the morning , so got it fitted straight away. Adjustment of motor drive spindle to the gear mechanism arm wasn't easy so took a few attempts to get it right. First try saw the wipers parking pointing straight up to the sky ! After trying several times to move the wiper arm location to the drives , I realised it was the wrong position of the drive arm onto the motor spindle that I had in the wrong location. Played with that adjustment once or twice then got it right. Scuttle cover panel back on with the help of a greasy piece of string but forcing that panel over the drive shafts was very difficult , trying to pull the string from under the windscreen rubber at the same time --- ugh !!! The reason being --------------------- the bloody drive shaft holes in the panel were no where near the centres of the shafts , actually scraped the side of the hole. Maybe not the original ALFA ROMEO panel ???

Big improvement though , really much faster 1st speed and VERY fast 2nd speed. Brilliant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts