Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

My foot operated water pump (no electric motor, just the switch to turn the wipers on) doesn't work and I was thinking about pulling it apart. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
wiper pump

Hi,
I am restoring my 72 GTV now and am too wondering what to do with the wiper pump. First, I can't figure out where the nozzle on the outside of the car would be. There is a nut in the center of the grated panel in front of the widshield and there is tubing going to it, but I don't see any spray holes. Second, what is the function of the switch? Does it pump water and control the wipers? Well, I'm trying to sort this out as I rip out the factory sound deadening and get ready for addressing rust. Sorry I can't offer any help for your question.
miles

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Instead of a nut there should be a squirter with 2 nozzles in the center of the removable cowl. When operating correctly one push on the foot pump will actuate the squirters for a few seconds and cause the wipers to make 2 passes on the windshield.The foot pumps used to be cheap but new ones are now ridiculously expensive.Aftermarket electric washer kits are available and affordable. Keep in mind all 2000(115 series) GTVs,Berlinas and Spiders through 78 or 79 had the foot pump so there should be a decent supply of used pumps in the junkyards.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
The reason that these fail as I have learned is the contacts inside go bad and won't turn the motor on, the rubber bulb that pushes the water through becomes cracked- then leaks,and the button freezes up in the bore and usually locks down in the "on" mode.
If your doing a restoration, a new one is the best bet. Just a daily driver, I am sure there are lots kicking around in parts boxes for cheap.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I haven't really looked into mine, however it doesn't seem to pump. It will actuate the wipers, but no pump. I'd be interested in fixing it, but its not a big enough deal to buy a new one. Is this potentially fixable (as in a loose wire or bad connection)? Or is this what they do when they die?

Will

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
The electrical function of that bellows pump/switch is sort of interesting. It has two sets of contacts - one is normally open the other normally closed. Study a schematic for the WW assembly, and you will see how when the pedal is depressed, it will switch the wipers on (at high speed) for as long as you hold the pedal down. The NC set of contacts are only needed so that if you step on the pedal when the wipers are already switched on in low speed mode, they will go to high while the pedal is down (I think that's correct - I'm doing this from memory). But anyhow, it is easy to tell if one of these pump/switches is electrically OK with a multimeter.

Personally, I have never had the water pump part of the pump/switch work on any of my Alfas. However, I feel that the "foot operated ww switch" feature is very worthwhile for all those times when you splash through a puddle, just when you are shifting with one hand, steering with the other, and operating the turn signals with your third - it's nice to be able to simply stomp on that little pedal, and clear the windshield. I guess a squirt of water would be helpful, but I can't imagine that function working - at least not for very long.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The foot pump on my GTV also died so I replaced it with a large pushbutton in the same location. I then bought a washer fluid bag with an integrated pump (I don't know which car this was original to) from Centerline and wired this up to the new 'foot actuated button'. I didn't wire it into the wiper motor, but this would be easy enough to do if someone wanted to. If someone didn't know better, they would think this was stock.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ya know what? I'm not going to mess with it. I have never had a car thats had opperating squirters, so it really doesn't bother me that much. If the windshield is that dirty that it needs the squirters, its probably time to use a squeegee to really clean it.

Will

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Those foot pumps come in handy. You can use it to get the wipers going without having to take your hands off of the steering wheel. Hit a huge puddle once covering the entire windshield. Without missing a beat I hit the foot pump and kept on driving.

I used to tell people my Alfa had a rain sensor that automatically operated the wipers when it was wet enough. Only was caught once hitting the foot pump.

Used one for sale on ebay, no interest:

Alfa Romeo wiper/washer foot operated switch - (eBay item 320172346967 end time Oct-31-07 12:30:00 PDT)

·
Premium Member
14,816 Posts
I once bought a generic washer pump from Autozone and installed it with a relay onto an old foot pump base. The existing tubes and wires connected to it just like the original pump. It was triggered from the rear window defogger switch which had no other function since the screen heat trace had failed. I probably still have it if anyone wants it.
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Is there a one-way valve in the pump?
Mine will actuate the wipers and move the washer fluid. However, it pumps out of both tubes, leading me to believe that there is a failed check valve in there somewhere. :confused:

·
Registered
554 Posts
inside the washer bag at the very end of the water hose there must be a small black thing. This is an one way valve, try to ckeck if it works by ...your mouth. In many cases this small valve is the problem, if all other works of course. As for the foot pump/switch, I'm not sure that these can be fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
inside the washer bag at the very end of the water hose there must be a small black thing. This is an one way valve, try to ckeck if it works by ...your mouth. In many cases this small valve is the problem, if all other works of course. As for the foot pump/switch, I'm not sure that these can be fixed.
The hose was missing when I got the car. I can probably find a replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts