Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just replaced front windscreen in my GTV6 racer. This car was purchased as a shell and the remainder in boxes.

Reading posts of the windscreens being replaced they mention fixing plates at the sides that hold the rubber - I could be misreading and it could be fixing materials on the A pillar.
Cannot find in any of my books - but guess it is a odd ball part that really would not be that prominent.

I am after photos of the windscreen fixing plates (if they were used) that hold the windscreen rubber in place. I have no idea what these look like.
I presume they sit of the sides (L and R) screen into the verticals and fix the rubber in place to stop the windscreen popping out under certain conditions.

Under race conditions can see there will be even more pressure on the windscreen (both positive and negative) - so need to make sure it is very well secured.

Thanks in advance.
Tim

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Tim,

There are 2 of these brackets on each side. I’ve recently done windshield R&R myself on 2 GTV6s and took lots of photos, including the one attached. Fun to rope in. Local glass shops refused to touch the cars. Anyway, don’t use glazing or sealant on this type of glass and seal was the advice I got from the experienced techs (the same ones who were not allowed to perform the replacements due to company policy on antique cars or some other nonsense, talk about a frustrating experience). Instead a pure silicone lubricant paste to help the gasket seat fully in the opening.

These brackets are riveted to the windshield frame and hold the seal lip in place. The pictured car was a virgin windshield and seal, never disturbed until I removed them so this should be a good of a reference photo as any.

I may have an extra set of these brackets around somewhere if you need them, as well as a set of the special rivets. I bought a spare set years ago.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Legend Rob - just needed to see them to have an idea of what to make
I can easily fashion something up
I was tempted just to screw in with lock tite or similar - but seeing rivets may be easier that way
Windscreen went in real easy with rope - a fun job just took my time on the corners

thanks for reply
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts