Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 LS and recently the front passenger side window regulator went bad (would get stuck in a couple places while making a buzzing noise I assume from the gear). After reading other posts about this I got the impression that repairing the window regulator was either impossible or very difficult and probably not worth it.

Unfortunately, my parts car also had the same problem, also on the front passenger side. Since it seems like you can't swap the window regulators around I went looking for another source, and was able to finally salvage one for someone else's parts car.

After installing it, I tested it a couple times to make sure it works fine. After everything seemed perfectly okay, I proceeded to lubricate the track. Then, once I gave it one last test before placing the door panel back on and proclaiming a job well done - it starts doing the exact same thing as the one I replaced!

After all that, I'm back at square one.

Are these window regulators really that bad? Is it really not worth fixing these things? And, is there possibly anything I did wrong that could have caused the replacement regulator to go bad in the same way too? (so I can try to prevent the same thing from happening with another replacement) I'm just not sure how a regulator that tested fine all the sudden went bad too.

Thank you for the help!

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
May not solve your problem, but be sure to lube the window tracks, esp the rear vertical one, with silicone spray. The window pane can drag a lot on that particular guide due to how the pane is pushed off center as it is raised and can really put high forces on the drive gear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up the Del, I sprayed it with silicone lubricant but unfortunately it still failed.

This is what I don't get however, out of nowhere the window regulator on my parts car started working normally again! I don't get it, how does that happen? I hope it doesn't stop again once I take it out (although with my luck with these things it will)

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
If you are lucky enough to have a regulator with good gear teeth inside non-repairable gearbox and it buzzes check the rubber/nylon coupling between motor and gearbox drive shaft for elongation on either end of it. You have to unbolt motor from gear box to inspect coupling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts