Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driver side window and both back windows go down extremely slow how much should it cost to get the window regulators replaced?

·
Registered
490 Posts
they dont need to be replaced...the grease inside has dried out causing the mechanism to move really slow. its best (and cheaper) to just try greasing the mechanism first.

if you would like to get someone to do this job, I would not expect it to take long. removing the doorskin is easy, and the mechanism comes out fast. Ive done this in as little as 30 minuites.

finding a used part may be interesting

·
Registered
235 Posts
after you grease those suckers if you realy want to get them to move quickly (and I mean nearly twice as fast)add a strong ground wire from the switches under the armrest directly to one of the ground wire bundles under the dash. or somewhere where there is a strong ground.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!! I'm 21 in college lol this is my first alfa . What kind of grease do I use on the mechanism ? Another question do you know where I can find the "V6 2.5 badge" and the "Milano" one as well

·
Registered
490 Posts
use pretty much any type of grease. white lithium grease would probably do, as would generic wheel bearing grease. Just make sure that all of the old grease is removed using solvent, or cleaner.

BTW, my Milano is a late car (89), and on mine the window regulators were different than any ive seen previous. It was really painful to get the thing apart in one piece. I ended up just getting an early mechanism and re-lubing it instead.

as for the badge, I have no idea...you might try someone who wrecks Alfa's a lot like Larry at APE.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Paul Spruell's son has a few badges posted on eBay, so you may wanna check him out. He won't be cheap, but his items are pretty nice typically.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi there! I know this is an old post, but is there any way you could please clarify what you mean by "switches under the armrest"? Are you referring to the rear window switches or the seat recline switches? Also, if you're referring to the window switches, would the same be possible for the front windows?

after you grease those suckers if you realy want to get them to move quickly (and I mean nearly twice as fast)add a strong ground wire from the switches under the armrest directly to one of the ground wire bundles under the dash. or somewhere where there is a strong ground.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't remember the wiring exactly as its been a while since ive been in there, but I believe that the motors power AND ground leads go through the window switches; The switch simply reverses the direction of current flow in the motor.

If that's the case its probable that Alfa used a very thin ground wire which is by now corroded like crazy where it grounds to at the radiator support (or under steering wheel). Use a nice new 14 AWG or bigger wire directly from the switches' ground lead to a bolt on the chassis which you have verified to be a strong ground. This includes both the rear windows (on armrest) and the ones above your head (including the sunroof).

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I don't remember the wiring exactly as its been a while since ive been in there, but I believe that the motors power AND ground leads go through the window switches; The switch simply reverses the direction of current flow in the motor.

If that's the case its probable that Alfa used a very thin ground wire which is by now corroded like crazy where it grounds to at the radiator support (or under steering wheel). Use a nice new 14 AWG or bigger wire directly from the switches' ground lead to a bolt on the chassis which you have verified to be a strong ground. This includes both the rear windows (on armrest) and the ones above your head (including the sunroof).

Here's the mod-

Craig's Place, Modifications

Craig's full of bight ideas! This one really does work too. Did it on my car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts