Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear passenger side windows regulator is acting up. It started acting up and stopped completely. Took it apart one by one following below steps

1) Tested window switches by swapping from other side (which are working fine) both at center console and at the door, still window wont budge.
2) Removed the panel and tested for proper voltage function by plugging in the a regulator motor that I took off of my parts car, motor is working fine, so voltage is fine
3) When I engage the switch in either direction, I can hear the motor clicking, but the track wont budge
4) Removed the actual window motor from the door and is working fine, tried to move the rubber coupler by hand, doesnt rotate, removed all screws holding the regulator assembly including the ones holding the window, now the track starts to move up and down
5) lubed the window track, winding cable and put everything together, now the window goes down, but is having trouble going up, it start off and slows down and stops, but if I pull window up, it completes going up.

At this point, not sure what else I can do (will lube the window track on which the glass slides and test it again).
Wondering if the motor has lost its guts or is it really just lubing the sliding tracks

thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Symptoms are of motor overloading. If the current draw gets too high or the pressure sensor detects an increase in physical resistance to lifting the motor will cut out. There is required to be a safety device for power windows, as for garage door openers to prevent injury should someone get stuck in the gap.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Symptoms are of motor overloading. If the current draw gets too high or the pressure sensor detects an increase in physical resistance to lifting the motor will cut out. There is required to be a safety device for power windows, as for garage door openers to prevent injury should someone get stuck in the gap.
Thanks, I understand that it cutouts going up sensing it being overloaded, trying to figure out how to get around this issue. To note, I can see window wobble when going up vs down which makes me think that something needs to be adjusted regarding the tracks or the window mount to the regulator assembly.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wobble is not the way it is supposed to work. Glass might be loose in the lifting bracket causing it to wobble in the guides increasing resistance suddenly enough. The sensor detects rate of change of lifting force. If it detected actual resistance the motor could never break ice locking it down and it can.

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
I've found that adding a little silicone grease to the rear vertical track can help. Milano front door glass has the problem of the motor, because it pushes up under near the front of the window, shoving/rotating the rear top of the glass pane hard into the vertical track. Silicone grease solved that problem of a 'grabby' track.

Otherwise, I agree with Michael's comments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have any photos of the "process"? My drivers window works fine, but all the others either don't move, or one switch will take it down but not up, and the other swithc up but not down!.
I'd like to remove them one by one and "tune up / lube" whatever needs to be done. Any help?

·
Premium Member
15,524 Posts
Those switches in at least the 164 will cause that to happen, as the switch points inside seem to get contaminated with something. What I and others have done is pull the switch out, pop it apart, cut the thin plastic film away, and spray the inside with electronics cleaner and then a little WD-40. Put the switch back together again, not replacing the plastic film, as it seems to trap contaminants inside the switch. This cleaning has worked for my Alfas for years now, not having to go back into a switch to redo the cleaning.

Try this first before doing anything else.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I have a rear window on a 1994 164 that moves slowly and repeatedly blow its fuse so indicates there is no overload sensor on it - beyond blowing the fuse. My driver's door window does have an overload sensor, probably part of the 'auto' function, as detects when reaches the high load of end of motion.
The sometimes up or down only issue is indeed a switch annoyance, rather than window mechanism itself. Just more Bosch parts put into an Alfa and acting like it was Alfa that made them. It must be a special touch.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It's not an overload sensor, it's a cut-out device. The window won't move at all if the device encounters a sudden increase in load. If the window is frozen in ice it will stop powering the motor. If a kid has his head in the way and the window hits it the motor will stop

Blowing fuses results from a different problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts