Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handle for the window continues to fall off. After continuous tightening and retightening It looks like the piece was chewed up. I have a new window mechanism but was wondering if I could replace just the piece that is chewed up. Is it possible or should I replace the whole thing altogether? I almost forgot I have a 74 spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
i need to periodically replace the grub screw in mine to keep it on but the only cost a $2 so its not so bad. get a new screw and see how it holds...

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
The handle for the window continues to fall off. After continuous tightening and retightening It looks like the piece was chewed up.
The splines on that shaft do look chewed up. Clearly it needs replacing. The question is: "how chewed up are the mating splines on your window crank? If they are mangled too (and they probably are), then they will just destroy your replacement part.

I have a new window mechanism but was wondering if I could replace just the piece that is chewed up. Is it possible or should I replace the whole thing altogether?
I don't know for sure, but I doubt that the shaft with the spline can be separated from the assembly shown in your fourth photo. But, why would you want to? Even if you could disassemble that shaft, you would have to remove the assembly from the door to work on it, and once you do that, why not just replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I was trying multiple screws but the thread had deteriorated. But what I did in order to prevent the handle from coming off was drill a whole from the side and put a screw through the handle ad shown in the pictures. It works perfect now the only minor problem is that it is difficult to wind the window down and up. I don't believe the cause was from what I did. I'm thinking of greasing the cables to smooth things out. Do you have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,881 Posts
I repaired a problem like this on a previous Alfa by spraying the splines on both parts with something like silicone, and then mixing something like JB Weld as a filler. The parts could be pulled apart after things had set up hard. It worked well for a very long time, as I remember.

Your repair might look better by using a domed countersunk bolt/screw; however, as long as it works...

I did the same repair on a serrated wiper post and arm, the arm fitting being made of junk metal and splines wearing away.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
or: I have a complete set up from a door with body damage. You get a new well, new everything including handle. Make me an offer that would be worth my while.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay Del thanks for the advice. Thank you for the offer Rob I am not looking for that at the moment You guys have been of great help and I appreciate it all:)

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
... now the only minor problem is that it is difficult to wind the window down and up....Do you have any suggestions?
Yea, I'd suggest you install that new winder mechanism that you referenced in post #1. Oiling your cables might help, but if the gears and splines on the old winder are worn, and if you have a new one on the shelf, why wouldn't you put it in?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
SPLINES

I have found that there is some variation in the splined shaft on '74 models. My car has the older style chrome winding handles and they are designed for a splined shaft that is a bit shorter than the replacements currently available. I had to grind the tip of the shaft down so that the wire clip would fit into the groove and hold the handle on. There is no set screw on my car, just the clip.

i have to add that, although I have not yet done any big work inside my dashboard, the window regulator was the worst job I have ever done on my car. I actually ruined a brand new unit before I figured out how to replace it and even after installation my windows do not work as smoothly as I'd like. I am not looking forward to doing this job ever again.

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
i have to add that, although I have not yet done any big work inside my dashboard, the window regulator was the worst job I have ever done on my car. I actually ruined a brand new unit before I figured out how to replace it and even after installation my windows do not work as smoothly as I'd like. I am not looking forward to doing this job ever again.
OK, I'm not saying it's a fun job. But look at what the splines on arachnidmagnet's regulator look like. And who knows what these have done to the mating splines on his winder handle? No amount of Loctite on his set screw is going to heal that.

And while the replacement regulators may need modification to work with the earlier, clip-style handles (a good point to know, thank you), arachnidmagnet doesn't have that issue.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
jay, the point I was trying to make is that , based on the photos, there may be a mismatch between the handles and the splines that caused the damage.
With the original build variation and the age of the cars it is difficult to know what was original and what has been altered.
Not only are the shafts pictured different in length, but the groove that accepts the clip or screw is in a different location.

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
Not only are the shafts pictured different in length, but the groove that accepts the clip or screw is in a different location.
Yea, I noticed that when I re-posted arachnidmagnet's photo. But the new winder mechanism he has appears to be the later style and the type of handle his spider uses is the later style, so mating those two parts should produce a successful result.

I would suggest that he verify the fit of the handle on the shaft of the new winder mechanism before going through the grief of installing the mechanism.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts