Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled my working-but-dark window switches apart and found a little blown xmas tree light bulb inside. Unfortunately this bulb is hard wired in and has to be de-soldered to be removed. Trouble is, I have no idea what type of bulb it is. Presumably ALFA probably thought people would simply replace the entire switch. I've seen on other forums for different cars (bimmers and saabs) that people use a "grain of wheat" bulb for theirs, will that work okay?

·
Registered
491 Posts
If anyone knows the answer to this, id love to know as well. Burned out bulbs in the dash really bug me for some reason. I would suspect that the 'grain of wheat' bulbs (AKA Osram 2721 1.2W) would work just fine, however if you've ever tried to solder one of these you quickly learn that the leads are not solderable easily (probably made of steel).

also...how'd you get the switch apart without ruining it? ive always been way to afraid to disassemble one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have recently replaced all the light bulbs in the dashboard, except for the ones in the instrument cluster. I think i bought 25 and had one spare.
I remember them being Osram, but not the wattage - i'm going the check that later today if i remember...
On my car, the ones in power-window switches were not soldered in, the wires were just twisted together, I did however solder them, not hard just required a steady hand and a little patience.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
a lil sanding of the steel prior to soilder helps..what about dropping in a 3mm led?..thats my plan..but wasnt sure how to get the switch apart

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice one Craig.

Where's a good place to buy those globes in Melbourne (well, I live down past Geelong)? Or Australian online store?

EDIT: found some on ebay from the US

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, craig hit the nail on the head with this! The 2721's aren't grain of wheat bulbs AFAIK, they are wedge bulbs designed for a tiny socket The GOW's have wire leads and are available at radio shack and pretty much any electronics store, fry's, pc megastores, etc. I just wanted to make sure the ratings wouldn't mess with the milano's fragile, er.. "carefully balanced" electrical system and/or the bulbs would be too bright and melt the housing or too dim and make the whole thing a waste of time.

http://www.mutr.co.uk/images/DSCN0265.jpg

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips9/080902_girr_radio_shack_gow_bulbs_5601.jpg

As far as getting the switch apart, the tabs are a little bit difficult to disengage, you have to do one at a time with a small stiff screwdriver. That said, they don't seem like they'd break without some major prying. I sorta went in from the center and then "behind" each one with my flathead and came out over top of them. Once all 4 are undone it just slides right apart. I found that the formerly sticky switch I experimented on ceased being sticky forever when I spritzed a little WD40 on it.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I had one stick on the gold and I noticed the wedge had a notch in it and would hang up the spring. I used a super fine/small file to reshape the wedge so the switch has a nice sharp click again. I also added some grease. so if you are in there you might bring the wedge where the bar slided up/down back to a soothe flat glide.
I now need to replace the motor on the driverside. as it got so hot it demagnetized so the motor now has no torq.
I do not see why a LED would not work. On the other hand the old bulbs are just now going so a 25year life span is not that bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used Osram T5 1.2 watt.

Same bulb used in almost everywhere in the cabin.

I found a way of replacing the bulbs in the heater control without removing the center console - I removed the radio and used a 10mm socket and a couple of extensions to reach the bulb sockets on the back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
WOW!!! That looks awesome! Now I know what I want to do. Thanks for posting.

I'm just unsure if it'll look good with the main gauges (speedo, tacho, etc). Worth a try though.

:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about LED's but with the additional trouble in sourcing and fitting them coupled with the thought that they might be *too* bright and look weird or be annoying at night I think the std bulbs are best for me. "Johnny's Disco" from the ARC is enough of a light show thanks ;-) Also, I'm not sure how LED's would get along with a dimmer, perhaps it wouldn't matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts