Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pressed the "down" button to lower the passenger window and ...plop... the window disappears into the door panel, never to return...

Press the up button. I hear a spirited motor. More spirited than when the window was actually working properly. But, no window.

This is getting old... always something...:frown2:

Fun to drive but I'm getting tired of the effort to fix stuff ...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,508 Posts
Sounds like the cable either broke or fell off the pulleys. You're going to need to pull the door panel to diagnose and fix.

Fun to drive but I'm getting tired of the effort to fix stuff ...
GO BUY A HONDA THEN, RELIABILITY-BOY!!! :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the door panel and the plastic sheeting that I had installed when I replaced my door panels.

It appears to me that the cables are taught. At least to me, none of the cables appear to have come off the wheels that they are lined up with. I would assume that if some of the cables had come off the rollers that there would be significant slack.

I can manually move the window up and down. It's a little snug but I can make it go from top to bottom without a problem.

Also, the motors seem to be winding the cables without a problem. Nothing seems to be binding.

I assume that the cables have to connect to the window support somehow. I just can't figure out how the cables connect to the window? Can someone shed some light on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,089 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
can't quite tell from your photo if they have slipped out, but the cables clamp into those two special bolts going thru the glass
Looks that way to me too. You need to loosen the two bolts, preferably gripping the metal bracket so that it doesn't twist and damage the glass where it hooks underneath. Then re-locate the wire behind the washers of each bolt and tighten up a little, but leave it loose enough to slide the window up and down manually without the wires moving.

You can then operate the electrics to spool the wire into the almost completely fully down position (Its probably best to just go up a bit after getting to the fully down, to release a bit of tension) without the window moving. Then slide the window down manually to the down position and tighten up the bolts.

Then try it, should be good!

Its a good time to lubricate everything and, also, adjust the bump stops on the brackets behind the glass if the height of the closed window isn't quite right.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Dom and Anglo! Solved the mystery. So, from your posts the cable is held to the bolt between the two washers by pressure only. They are not "threaded" through some hole or opening, correct?

Anglo, thanks for tip on setting the correct height and setup.

Dom, thanks for finding the thread and pics. Obviously you are better at finding things using search Than i am!

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. No work on the Alfa today.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, its just pressure holding it.

Enjoy the Super Bowl :smile2:
Well, I'm guessing there are a few of you out there just like me....can't enjoy the Super Bowl when I have the solution to the window problem at hand and a few hours to kill before kickoff....

So, thanks to the great advice I got here, I got to the task at hand. I am happy to report that the window now works perfectly. In fact, I'm tempted to pull the other panel off, degrease, re lubricate and adjust.:grin2:

Anyway, there is a slight difference between the pic in the link above and my 1991 model. My model has some half moon thingama bobs that seem to invite a cable. My guess is that they are there to help keep the cable aligned between the two washers. May be wrong but couldn't see any other use for them.

Following the tips above, I used the switch to lower the guides to the low level, set the cables between the washers and thingama bob, tighten it up and up she went!

here is a picture for you curious types....

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts