Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this is my main thread for my engine build but I wanted to post it here too for some more attention:

I have the alfaholics windage tray that bolts on between the block and the oil pan, however, I only have one gasket... I am better off getting a second gasket for both sides, using the gasket on only one side and then rtv on the other, or just rtv on both sides? If I do use only one gasket, should it go on the engine block side or oil pan side?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The best approach is to use sealant on both sides and not use a gasket. A major benefit of the plate is strengthening the block. With the gasket on the other side, the pieces are more likely to move against one another.

·
Registered
154 Posts
How is the plate connected to the main bearings, with half height nuts, pal nuts or no nuts?
I also got a windage tray sold without any fasteners.
I might use the gasket with RTV on the upper side as the surface is not flat every were (rear main bearing cap).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is the plate connected to the main bearings, with half height nuts, pal nuts or no nuts?
I might use the gasket with RTV on the upper side as the surface is not flat every were (rear main bearing cap).
Mine came with half height nuts to attach over the bearing caps. I'll post a picture once I get it in

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best approach is to use sealant on both sides and not use a gasket. A major benefit of the plate is strengthening the block. With the gasket on the other side, the pieces are more likely to move against one another.
Thanks Erik! That actually makes a whole lot of sense

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up just putting rtv on both sides. Here's the picture of the half height nuts installed.

It's also worth noting that the alfaholics one is designed to be installed before the oil pump. As this forces you to install the pump with the front cover on which is much tougher I just modified it by cutting away enough material so that it can clear the pump.

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
If not flat around your rear main bearing cap you will have oil leaks, so needs to be fixed
Pete

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the block has been line bored or honed, the rear main cap has been cut and will shorter than the pan rail. Find a sheet of aluminum or steel the same thickness as the offset and cut a shim to make up the difference. Seal with RTV.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is practically flat, maybe an offset of about a hair or so.
Will use some RTV and possibly a gasket too on the upper side.
Pal nuts also ok to use? ( I see those on some trays sold)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I supply half nuts with mine. Palnuts will work, but are not as secure

·
Administrator
14,491 Posts
It is practically flat, maybe an offset of about a hair or so.
Will use some RTV and possibly a gasket too on the upper side.
Pal nuts also ok to use? ( I see those on some trays sold)
Will leak ... probably can hand file it down ... ?

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts