Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone spot which Brand (if any!)the Wind Deflector on the photo is? It's an Ebay item, and don't want to get stiffed with a home made piece of plastic that falls off at the next corner. We plan to do a trip to Italy later this year, about 4.000 km in total, so i want something sturdy and don't mind paying for it.

It look alright i guess?, I've contacted the seller for more info. I seached the forum for other post on the subject of Wind Deflectors but it seems many opted to make one themselves.. Is that because the aftermarked ones are crap/overpriced or?

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Usually because they are overpriced, restrict seat movement, and if you've got a top boot, you have to cut it if you want to use it.

That aside, what you show in the pic looks like the common one found at IAP and other places that's German made and sells for around $250 USD give or take.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tifosi, fast reply thanks!

I see what you mean.. We do use the Cover, so doesn't sound too good!

Below is the description from IAP, which does state no cutting and no interference with the Top operation...:confused:

In Germany, they love Italian convertibles--and drive them fast. But a nice breeze can become an unpleasant, hair-whipping ordeal. That's why the Germans engineered clever, "see through" wind deflectors that let you enjoy top-down driving without the buffeting. Mounts in minutes with no drilling or cutting. Won't interfere with top operation. Includes mounting brackets and instructions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah... i put the item in the shopping cart and this description popped up:

For 1967-95 Alfa Spiders. Can not use with roll bar. May have to modify top boot. Attaches to convertible top frame mounting bolts. If seat are all the way to the rear, it may not be reclined. A small slot may need to be cut into the top boot for it to fit correctly around the mount. Kit includes deflector, 2 brackets, 2 adjustment knobs, and 2 washers.

So how bad are they IRL? how much do they limit the seating position, and how big a hole is needed to cut in the Top..? Would be great with some real life experience.

cheers
Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks very nice indeed! well done there msiert!

So i take it you build the stand because the hardware was not good enough?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Can anyone spot which Brand (if any!)the Wind Deflector on the photo is? It's an Ebay item, and don't want to get stiffed with a home made piece of plastic that falls off at the next corner. We plan to do a trip to Italy later this year, about 4.000 km in total, so i want something sturdy and don't mind paying for it.

It look alright i guess?, I've contacted the seller for more info. I seached the forum for other post on the subject of Wind Deflectors but it seems many opted to make one themselves.. Is that because the aftermarked ones are crap/overpriced or?
I bought one like the pictured one coppel years ago, but have forgot the make. It's fixed at one of the bolt for the top frame inside the B-post and will not affect a top cover as far I can see. I haven't got the cover.

I am very pleased with it, it obstructs the rear view thru the mirror, but it's not too bad. It eliminates nearly all draft and sits fine.

Erik

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
It's fixed at one of the bolt for the top frame inside the B-post and will not affect a top cover as far I can see. I haven't got the cover.
I do :)

A properly fitted/manufactured boot cover will have those bolts covered. (actually everything up to the chrome cap on the top of the B-pillar is covered)

edited for attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys, gonna give it a try. It looks alright, seems to function well from your feedback, , so I am sure i'll manage to fit it one way or another. Once its installed, tried and tested, I'll be back with my own comments. :)

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
OT:

Y'know Murray, every time I see pix of your garage, two things come immediately to my mind.

1) It's almost too clean
2) you need a lot more tools
Heck that picture is almost 2 years old. Sense I got the Alfa back and been working on it myself I have gotten a lot more tools. I still waiting for the day when I don't have to go out and buy more tools to do a job.

The shop is starting to clutter in real nicely too. :D

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I don't get the whole windblocker thing, it's just so 'German'. Look at all of the new roadsters, you sit down in a hole, it may as well be a targa-top. Top down driving in the Spider is great for the correct conditions like under 50 mph on a twisty section of sparsly populated blacktop or around town but if the sun is blasting down and the temps get up to 85 or 90 or below 50 or if I'm doing a stint on the freeway I just put the top up.

I mean it's a 20 second ordeal and you can always put it back down just as quick.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have one of those black wind deflectors. Works very good, and allows you to drive with the top open without a complaining wife. Used it extensively in a trip to Scotland some years ago.

However, had to make my own hardware, since the standard hardware resulted in the top of the deflector being exactly in the middle of the view of the rear mirror. A disadvantage of the deflector is that it makes it more difficult to open close the top.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How does it affect the opening/closing operation Rafael?

Complaining wife is spot on! :D She want us to drive her car (2007 Brera Spider) when we go to Italy, but i want to go in my old S4, price is i have to solve the wind issue..:)

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Ah well, I've been married for 32 years and I suppose she still complains but it's like living next to the train tracks, I guess I just don't hear it anymore :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts