Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on wind deflectors on Spiders? I've been looking at a couple on different sites: all the designs seem to be very similar.

So:

* Do they work?

* Are they ugly?

* Does installation damage the car?

* Are they worth the money?

I don't think I have the time, skills, or inclination to build my own, although I know others have done so.

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes - little buffeting at speed - easy to have a conversation at 60 mph
No as you can fold them away if you don't want anyone to see it. or its two bolts to undo if you want to remove it
No - just a couple of brackets bolted to the hood fixing point
Yes and yes again especially if you like driving when its chilly out
The Classic Alfa one is very good even tho it is a lot of money for a couple of brackets some bent tubing and a bit of mesh

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the tip I've been wanting a wind deflector and didn't want to make one. I just bought the one on sale from Classic. 75 GBP plus 24 shipping comes out to 132 USD.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's not a bad price on the Classic Alfa deflector. I am thinking about purchasing it but have a few questions.

Can someone post a photo or two of the attachment points? Also, Can the top be closed with the deflector in place or must it be removed first? Can the boot cover be put on with the deflector mounted?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
here's a photo of the front attachment point.

It uses the lower of the 2 topframe bolts, and you can just see the actual deflector M8 in the foreground.
From there a 2nd bracket bolts to the wheel arch, but i've left those out as I didn't want to drill in there. And found it doesn't really need it after 3 years of extensive use.

The top can move freely with the deflecor up, it's just that when it's down, and you lower the top it get's stuck under the top, so you have to get that up almost completely before you can put the deflector up.

Works perfect.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for the tip I've been wanting a wind deflector and didn't want to make one. I just bought the one on sale from Classic. 75 GBP plus 24 shipping comes out to 132 USD.
Note: I got an email today from Classic. To my exact address the shipping came out to 33GBP so about 142 USD total. I bought it anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wind Deflector for my Spider

Hah! Just ordered mine too! Arrives Thursday to Virginia.
Lin

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Note: I got an email today from Classic. To my exact address the shipping came out to 33GBP so about 142 USD total. I bought it anyway.
Ouch! Must not fold up very well.

I can't get a handle on their shipping - sometimes small things are expensive and big things cheap. Get delivered across vast distances very quickly though so this is no complaint! Just don't see the logic.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok so the shipping is a bit pricey but I ordered mine at 6:27am yesterday and it is scheduled to arrive by end of day today! It will take me longer than that to install it. The (people moving) airlines should take an example from the freight lines.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Great deal, just ordered one $130.54 total USD. My friend who runs a company that makes prototypes for industries ranging from defense and aerospace to pool equipment manufacturers was going to build me one out of lexan. He said it would be several months since he was too busy currently so this makes for perfect timing.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts