Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a two car garage with an 8' ceiling and was shopping for a good lift that would be approximately $1600 or less delivered. I saw a good deal of nice things said about the Atlas TD6MR but they were on other forums...for different cars. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with this specific lift. Would it suffice for a '69 GTV? I do not have the money for 2 post or 4 post setup. Any info/advice appreciated.

Dale

·
Premium Member
4,532 Posts
If you weren't limited by ceiling height you can find nice used lifts on craigslist. I got a 9 year old, 9000 lbs Rotary lift out of a closed down ford dealer in Charlotte, NC a couple of years ago. I paid $1600.00 for it.

·
Administrator
17,039 Posts
If your jacking points are in good shape I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

That looks useful for brake/suspension work but it clearly limits other 'under-car' work. (although I am not sure I'd want to be under a car held up by just that lift...)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use it for. As Eric says it will limit the types of work, for instance you probably wouldn't be able to do exhaust easily or remove a transmission (without pulling the engine).

The car is well under the capacity of the lift so that should be fine.

Kevin

·
Registered
281 Posts
Keep in mind the weight of this thing.
Videos of these show someone walking past the camera pulling it along easily with the pump/dolly. But when you see someone actually trying to start (or stop) moving it, the image is not so pretty!
I don't have any experience with this hoist - but looked at it before buying the EZCarLift.
In my uneducated opinion, this and other hydraulic scissor jacks look very useful for certain jobs, but they are not as "portable" as the manufacturers might have you believe. Even "picking them up" from the vendor or moving them around your property and into your garage might prove quite difficult.

Not saying not to get it. Just pointing out another thing to consider. $0.02 Canadian funds.

EDIT: the other one of this type which I looked at and liked was the Bend Pak one - their video gives you a good look of the under-car access. To me, it also looks wider at the base, which makes me think it might be more stable when a car is up to maximum height.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. The EZCarLift just doesn't go high enough for my taste. I'm not too worried about mobility. I'm going to wait and do some more research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts