Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe yes, but!; It will be cheaper you buy a new Montreal cap and store the original GTA cap. Because of the price for original GTA parts. You will get min. the the price twice from a new Montreal cap.

KEEP the GTA part!!!!!.

Kai

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe yes, but!; It will be cheaper you buy a new Montreal cap and store the original GTA cap. Because of the price for original GTA parts. You will get min. the the price twice from a new Montreal cap.

KEEP the GTA part!!!!!.

Kai
Yeah it wasn't cheap in the first place but I took the chance and bought it as I prefer original over repro. Seems it won't fit though according to what others tell me. I have heard stories there are varying levels of quality with the repro caps so is a bit of a lucky dip to get a good one.

And yes, it will be hard to let go as you don't find NOS GTA parts very often. Might be a nice expensive paperweight on my desk!:laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
The early GTA distributors have a larger diameter rotor mount shaft than some of the later Marelli GTA and GTA jr distributors. Caps do interchange. I have modified several Montreal rotors to work with my own GTA S119A Marelli distributors. The Montreal cap is not as robust as the old greenish GTA caps, but does work.
The value of having a real GTA cap on an S119A Marelli distributor on a real GTA engine, makes the Montreal cap better suited to a Montreal engine.
Yes, the original GTA caps are much more costly than Montreal caps, new or used.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
The early GTA distributors have a larger diameter rotor mount shaft than some of the later Marelli GTA and GTA jr distributors. Caps do interchange. I have modified several Montreal rotors to work with my own GTA S119A Marelli distributors. The Montreal cap is not as robust as the old greenish GTA caps, but does work.
The value of having a real GTA cap on an S119A Marelli distributor on a real GTA engine, makes the Montreal cap better suited to a Montreal engine.
Yes, the original GTA caps are much more costly than Montreal caps, new or used.
Hi Gordon,
Your pictures are ..... great!! Nice Work. Good to see such a work.
Kai

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I know a GTA Magneti Marelli twin-spark distributor complete with rotor cap and rotor. As far as I could see, it was complete and original, although it had been used for racing on an NSU engine.
Can anyone tell me what it's worth? I would be very grateful, many thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got some pictures on the GTA Magneti Marelli twin-spark distributor.

Since I'm quite new on this site, I cannot posts URL's or pictures. So anyone who wants to see them, pleas let me know and I'll sent them to you.

Thanks in advance, kind regards,
Marc Florie

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Monti cap, and some GTA jr caps interchange depending on the rotor shaft size. GTA does not, as originally they were all the large diameter rotor shaft size.
Over the production life of the 308 engines, there were some variations as well. Marelli did not make one distributor that was used on all these applicatios to my knowledge.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Caps and Rotors are different. The B circuits are totally different, the Montreal has a vertical brass contact ring for an air gap connection. The GTA uses a horizontal brass ring that a carbon button rides against.

Alfa Parts Exchange

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
Thanks Larry. I'm often asked "which Ferrari distributor will ....?" I have a pair of original GTA units for my car, as well as assorted spare parts, and nothing directly interchanges with the small shaft Jr unit or the Ferrari assemblies.

·
Super Moderator
11,556 Posts
You could be right. Wait a moment and I'll check one. Whoa! Thats neat, two in a pile in my bookcase!
And a GTA pump.
YOU ARE RIGHT! I'm wrong. Backwards. GTA is 8mm. Both of them.
Appreciate the correction. At least I remembered a big one and a small one!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts