Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anybody know if the same ITG air filter plate will work for both weber 40s and 45s? Are all the holes in the same locations and are they the same diameters? Would the 4 main holes be the same size?

thanks,

Bryan

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you go the ITG route, I suggest using the one with the curved/domed shaped filter as opposed to the more square cut oval one.

The dome will give a bit more clearance near the chassis rail, wheras the square edged one can hit/interfere. (and I don't just mean when the engine moves on it's mounts)

Edited to add pathetic rendering.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Bryan,
Yes, the same plate will work for both size carbs. I agree too with the "sausage" type filter for better clearance but it costs a bit more than the square cut one. Nice rendering.

I noticed your attachment picture-Do you have the ITG baseplate in a drawing cad file I can get from you?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Hello Bryan, I think they would fit. The previous owner of my gtv2.0 had twin Dellortos DHLA 45 with a custom made metal plate to support the carbs and had one independent filter (Ram Flo dome type) per carb. As his daughter started using the car he bought a pair of 40mm Dellortos including the original air box which were fitted to the car when I purchased it. I re-chromed the filter housings, bought new Ram-Flo filters and installed them on the 40mm carbs using the metal plate that came with the 45mm and they matched perfectly.

Right now I am not sure if I will go with the 45mm carbs though, but the previous owner told me that they made the car fly with the cams he had :).
I will have to take appart both the 40s and 45s to take note of the specs of the emulsion tubes, idle jets etc to see which way to go...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hey Bryan,
Yes, the same plate will work for both size carbs. I agree too with the "sausage" type filter for better clearance but it costs a bit more than the square cut one. Nice rendering.

I noticed your attachment picture-Do you have the ITG baseplate in a drawing cad file I can get from you?
Thanks,
Mike
The file Bryan posted came from me. It was used to make the backing plate for my '67 GTV with 2L motor. The file is in Adobe Illustrator format (CS2, I believe) and anyone who wants a copy is welcome to it. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

I made the plate by first scanning a borrowed ITG backing plate. I then modified the ITG plate by moving the mounting holes a bit to give more room between the firewall, fender and air filter. It took a couple of tries to get it right, but now everything fits fine, at least in my GTV.

One thing I learned during this process was the importance of having a backing plate that is stiff enough to hold the carbs firmly in place. The new plate is made of stainless steel. I believe the material is .090" thick. The first plate I tried was from Pipercross. It is so thin it is useless and occupies a place of shame on a dusty garage shelf. The ITG plate was sturdy enough, but I wanted more room around the filter.

The rounded ITG filter you're talking about is part number JC50/S/75. You can get them from www.coastfab.com. There's a good photo of my engine with that filter here: http://greend.com/alfa_engine_carb_side.htm. This is the filter an ITG manager recommended to me, after testing it with a set of air horns like the ones I got from TWM.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If it's of any use, I've got one of those plates out in the garage that I could mabe trace and load up as a JPG file that can be DL'd and printed in 1:1 scale (and prolly cut out and taped together LOL) in the event someone want's to make thier own.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If it's of any use, I've got one of those plates out in the garage that I could mabe trace and load up as a JPG file that can be DL'd and printed in 1:1 scale (and prolly cut out and taped together LOL) in the event someone want's to make thier own.
Why go to all that work when I've already made a digital file that I'll share?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Whoops, yup, I missed that part.

For some reason I picked up reading that post at the 'I made the plate' paragraph rather than the 1st one where you talk about the file.

My error caused me to believe you made a plate, but didn't go through all the template work.

My bad, sorry. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bryan set me up with the ITG plate file so I'm good to go. Gary, your engine and engine bay looks simply pristine-fantastic! I noticed that you have a spring connecting your oil cap to a cam cover bolt? That's an interesting mod because I've lost an oil cap once while driving...:eek:

I totally agree about the stiffness of the plate. You need to keep those carbs properly supported to keep them in good tune. The factory ITG plate I bought from coastfab was marginal in my opinion-not thick enough. The support plates offered from Centerline and IAP are much thicker and work fine in conjunction with the ITG.

thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Tifosi, I figured you missed a line or two. Didn't want you to go to the trouble of making a template when there's already one floating around.

Mike, the spring on the 0170 cap went on immediately after the cap came loose and sprayed that pristine engine compartment with oil. How ironic that all the years the underhood area was a mess I never had a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts