Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if someone can help me out. I'm looking at buying a 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider QUADRIFOGLIO MODEL online. Since I can't see it in person or sit in it as I live in Canada and the car is in California here is my question:

I'm 6ft4 (210lbs), will I fit somewhat comfortably?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Brooks...
6'4" here...211 pounds..I own two Spiders...77/79. Let's say I 'fit' in the cars, enjoy them both, and get great pleasure out of working on them, swearing at them, and even driving them. I know that they are made for a smaller frame, ideally, but it works for me. Truly the best thing you can do is FIND a Alfa Spider close to where you live and sit in it. My comfort level/delusion may be different than yours. :)
And..when I sit in my 07 Camry with more leg room and head room, and all the electric buttons I can play with and make my life simple as I zip down the road... I realize driving/owning a Spider of any vintage is more of an adventure and expression of self, hobby and fairly unique way of spending my free time....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Im 6'5" and 230 lbs. I modified the rear deck so I could lean the seat back and purchased a smaller steering wheel that is a little closer to the driver so I could get my right knee behind the wheel...Perfecto!

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm about 6'2", 210lbs and I have a 78. I find myself slouching when the top is up in order to see street lights. When my girlfriend (5'10"?) sits in the car with perfect posture, as she typically does, her head touches the ceiling. Long trips with the top down can be uncomfortable, but other than that it's not bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. This is convincing enough for me to move forward, just wanted some reassurance.
Even if a bit uncomfortable I know the Alfa driving experience will more then make up for it.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,698 Posts
Fit yes, be comfortable on long trips, maybe. I had one for 10 years and I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I'm an inch too big for a Miata.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Got you all beat! I'm 6'6" and 240 pounds. I had an '81 Spider for a while. I would have never taken it cross country. But for short trips it wasn't bad. You learn to accomodate. The '81 had a lot more room than my '56. I had to modify the seat and bend the shift lever to drive it safely!

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I'm 6'1", 34" inseam, 230 lbs and feel quite comfortable in our '84 Spider.

A couple of things to consider. 1) The later models ('86? or '87? & newer) have knee bolsters under the dash. They might reduce the leg room/knee space some. B) there is a throttle pedal modification that moves your right foot forwards a bit - helps straighten out your knee. (I have not done that to our Spider.) Info about that is in the Spider section's FAQ thread.

I did add cruise control for use during long highway trips. We've taken our Spider all over North Carolina and as far as Watkins Glen, NY & to visit relatives in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am 5'6" and fit with no problemo :D. But i was selling my 79 spider and a guy who is about 6'2" could not drive comfortably 'cause his feet were too big and hard to fit in the foot well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
6ft4 and 210pds. I'm driving this 89 Spider Quad from California to Canada! Will post how the trip goes when I get her home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm 5'8" but my spiders' pedals were lowered and pushed to the left slightly for the original onwer. This is great for me because the steering wheel and shifter are easier to reach!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
6'-4" no fit

I'm surprised at all the guys that have made this work! I sat in a few newer spiders and decided I couldn't fit. I drove a '74 and saw that I would have to modify the shelf? behind the seats so as to move the seat back further. I remember having no problem driving a '70 duetto that a college roomate of mine had back in the day though. My GTV is tight but manageable although I wouldn't want to be in there for 3 or 4 hours...

·
Registered
692 Posts
GTV is better for tall folks as seat scoots back further, might think of checking one out?:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts