Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of a leaky seal between the engine and the transmission on my '92, my mechanic will need to support the engine and separate the two major mechanical parts. I suggested to him that while I am going to incur the labor expense of doing this... to take care of other things that "may go wrong" in the future and not have to go through the same costly steps some time in the future (car has 49k mi). The clutch is in pretty good shape and the car shifts well.. other than downshifting to second from third and fourth to third. I have learned the techniques of double clutching (for 2nd) and matching rolling speed and engine revs for 4th to 3rd.

So, I suggested to my mechanic that while the gearbox is open to change the clutch plate and replace the 2nd and 3rd synchros.

My question is... what improvement, if any, can I expect with new sychros? Will I be able to downshift (with no grinding) from 3rd to 2nd without having the car slow to match the shift?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
New synchronizers will make a big difference, and if you shift properly you will not grind... Nonetheless, if you allow someone who doesn't know how to shift properly to drive your car, they will place unnecessary wear on the synchros. At 49k mi. the 2nd and 3rd gear synchros have worn prematurely, since they typically last a longer than that before they start wearing.

Best regards,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Will I be able to downshift (with no grinding) from 3rd to 2nd without having the car slow to match the shift?
sure, but you'll just wear the synchros out quickly again. IMHO, double clutching and blipping the throttle to match revs is one of the most fun to master and driver involving things about driving ANY manual gearbox car . . .

remember that your 5-speed is 1950's technology (yes, half a century old :eek:), and treat it with the mechanical sympathy it deserves.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I suggest you go to the Centerline website, they have a technical bulletin on how to economically refresh the synchros, by some swapping and minimal parts replacement. Just the type of thing you should consider.

When you are done, put in Redline 75W 90 NS in the trans, do the trans bushing and the Giubo as well as the motor mounts!
Best regards Elio

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Couple thoughts, you may want to have the clutch inspected thoroughly while the trans is out, at a minimum I'd replace the t/o bearing, is the slave cylinder weeping/leaking? they are cheap. replace the clutch flex line with a braided stainless line. removing the trans is seperate a operation from then opening the trans and overhauling the unit. Besides the good advice about double clutching, when shifting into either first or reverse, at rest it is always a good idea to first move the gearlever into one of the other forward gears before choosing first or reverse. How is the traffic these days on the 110?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
My question is... what improvement, if any, can I expect with new sychros? Will I be able to downshift (with no grinding) from 3rd to 2nd without having the car slow to match the shift?
I just rebuilt mine last month and had all the gears lightened. It shifts like a dream! New synchros and rings are in order if you're going to be having it apart anyways. The last time I pulled out my transmission, clutch, driveshaft, intake plenum and starter, it only took me 2 hours and 50 minutes, are you sure this isn't something you'd want to do yourself?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts