Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

just wondering if a rim im looking at will fit my car. my car is a 66 105 stepnose. It has the normal wheel archs, not the deep ones so hopefully thats a +.

The rim is a 16 inch 4x108 stud, 67.1 hub bore and at 7.5 inch wide, is bit wider (12mm) than the alfaholics GTA replica rims and the offset is different so it may just squeeze in. With the smaller offset, i spose it the inside of the wheel and tyre hitting the car thats going to be a problem rather than the outer edge hitting the guards. Am I thinking about this the right way?

Does anyone else have any experience fitting slightly bigger rims than normal to their cars.

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
NO, the offset is wrong, rim to wide and to big in dia. Unless you stretch on a 145 50 16. Seriously the centerline of the rim sticks out 9mm more that the Alfaholics 15x7 29mm GTA rim plus the rim edge will stick out an additional 1/4'' due to the extra width, so that totals about 15mm of extra rim on the out board side. I think the hub bore may be to small as well. Being an early stepnose car it may have the low rear arches as well adding to the problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
Does anyone else have any experience fitting slightly bigger rims than normal to their cars.
Tim:

Yes, I have experience fitting slightly bigger rims than normal to my stepnose. However, what you are proposing is way beyond "slightly" bigger. The stock wheels were 4-1/2" wide, and you are considering 7-1/2" width.

My sense is that Alfaholics spent a lot of time engineering their wheels to maximize the width that can fit the tight rear wheel arches of the early 105 coupes. My guess is that going beyond the width of the Alfaholics wheels, or using a different offset, will lead to interference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
not to mention that 16" rims are going to look **** silly on a 105 GT. :eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you read the blurb from Alfaholics, they don't even recommend going beyond 195's on the 15 x 7's - 205's being marginal for clearance. I wrote to them about fitting their 15 x 8 GTA wheels on a standard 105 and they said 'no way' - you need the widened GTA arches. And I agree with the comment that 16's is getting out of character for the older cars.

Cheers,
Wazza.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW

I am running the 15x7's with 195 55 tyres on my stepnose....

I have about 2-3mm between the wheel/tyre and the body on the outside and a similar distance inside from the limit straps(if I remember correctly) on the rear. At the front there is evidence of some rubbing at full lock, probably in conjunction with suspension movement and lateral load.

Hence without mods, 15x7.5" won't fit, no matter the offset or tyre.

So it looks like the Alfaholics crew have got it right(no surprise, but good to know).

Cheers,
AP

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a '66 GTV too. I'm running Alfaholics fast road kit the 15x6.5" wheels, at 22mm offset, rub on moderate to heavy compression and need to be swapped to 29mm

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello,

66 GT Veloce have low rear wheels arches ( if not upgraded )

the largest rims that can fit are 7x15 rims on 35 mm offset with Road B kit

Tyres max: 195x55 ( or 60 ) x 15.

Live axle should be well centered in body.

Bruno
French Alfaholics technical advisor

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
great subject actually for those looking for more tyre grip.

Bruno, from what I have read on your compadre's website - "These are available in both 195/55 and 205/50 sizes. 205/50 only for fitment on Spider and GT with rolled rear arches, not Giulia Saloon."

I hope they fit, because I have these ready to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so far for your replies everyone.

Pancho, when you say rolled rear arches, do you mean the lip around the edge of the arch has been smoothed off for an extre couple of mm??

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yes , this should help. beware though - paint *may* crack.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
No worries. There are a few options here depending on the required clearance and outcome. Some panel shops cut the internal lip off then file finish. this can be tricky though. The only other issue is when the lip is rolled it *can* create a haven for rust as it's pretty much sandwiched metal - depending on how rolled it is..

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
Pancho-thanks for the link! I'm going to roll mine before I paint.
Jeff:

Whoa, not so fast. That "ArchEnemy" tool is pretty slick, but it will only work on cars whose wheel arches have a constant radius. I.e. are a segment of a circle.

As the picture below shows, the wheelarch of an Alfa GT is NOT shaped like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yes, very very true. Good point Jay!

And what an awesome car you've got.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
No problemo! I looked through a few of the videos, and can do it just fine with the hammer (I have the skills). I just don't see a reason to risk messing up my paint later.

·
Super Moderator
11,339 Posts
And what an awesome car you've got.
Aw shucks!

And, I did have tire-wheelarch interference, even with 185/70's, when I was running wider wheels. Never tried bending in the rim of the wheelarch; instead I changed to stock 14" rims to fix the problem. Once I made the switch, I had to admit that the steelies + hubcaps did look pretty good.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
This is great info guys. Guess I am lucky regarding fitment as I have the high arches on my late-in-the-run GT Veloce, also with the four-bolt lower front suspension. I do like the low arch look though!

·
Registered
141 Posts
great subject actually for those looking for more tyre grip.

Bruno, from what I have read on your compadre's website - "These are available in both 195/55 and 205/50 sizes. 205/50 only for fitment on Spider and GT with rolled rear arches, not Giulia Saloon."

I hope they fit, because I have these ready to go.
spiders and GT are no problem with 205x50 and 29 mm offset.

Giulia Saloons need compulsory 35 mm offset and 195 mm Max on tyre width. Most racers using slicks are obliged to modifiy internal rear arches to allow space.

Berlinas are less critical as they were designed to use 6x14 steel wheels mm offset 7x15 offset 29 mm fits the rear arches with stock suspension. I would prefer 35 mm offest wheels on a lowered car.

Last: Sprint GT and GT veloce pre 68 lower rear arches: 35 mm offset compulsory.

for the tyres themselves. I won't speak of 50 or 55 profile as it makes no difference on width just on speed.

205 for track is better as the footprint is bigger
195 is enough for fast road, trackday or for a low power engine.

Hope this helps

Bruno

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Thats great - Yes correct - I have a set of staggered wheels

Front Superleggera 15x7 ET29 - rear Superleggera 15x7 ET35.

I'm gogin to get the tires dry fitted now the car has it's diff in as I want to see the rear arch clearance issues before the bodywork goes further.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts