Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title says it all.

I have a BMW X3 that i'm leasing for dirt cheap, and has a towing capacity of 3500lbs. I'm trying to get the shortest trailer that way my load will be lighter.

GTV = 2300lbs, trailer 1000 (or less)

I found a utility trailer thats 6.5 wide, and 14 feet long. The company says it has a payload up to 2400lbs, and you could tow a vehicle, but they recommend a auto hauler.

The gtv's total length is 13.5 inches. Will it fit?

Or must I purchase a 16 foot?

·
Registered
403 Posts
It will tow better on a 16' or 18' trailer. The longer trailers won't weigh that much more. Even though the longer trailers may put you a few hundred pounds over your gross weight, you will have the benefit of being able to move the car's location on the trailer to give you the ideal tongue weight. The X3 gross towing is probably 3500lb gross with a 350lb tongue weight. Depending on where the axles of the trailer are you may end up with too much tongue weight on the shorty.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I special-ordered a 13' trailer for my GTV race car. The car fits fine, but yes, it has a lot of tongue weight and when towed behind my Jeep Cherokee the headlights pointed to the sky and the front brakes weren't much good.

The trailer, with the car on it, barely fits in my garage.

Doug Bender

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Will a 14 ft. Trailer Be Suitable for a GTV?

It will tow better on a 16' or 18' trailer. The longer trailers won't weigh that much more. Even though the longer trailers may put you a few hundred pounds over your gross weight, you will have the benefit of being able to move the car's location on the trailer to give you the ideal tongue weight. The X3 gross towing is probably 3500lb gross with a 350lb tongue weight. Depending on where the axles of the trailer are you may end up with too much tongue weight on the shorty.
I special-ordered a 13' trailer for my GTV race car. The car fits fine, but yes, it has a lot of tongue weight and when towed behind my Jeep Cherokee the headlights pointed to the sky and the front brakes weren't much good.

The trailer, with the car on it, barely fits in my garage.

Doug Bender

I concur with both of the previous posters, however, I would word the response a little differently, in that you don't want the car to have to maintain the only available position on the trailer based on it not hanging over the front or the rear of the trailer. You want to be able to balance the weight of the car over the axle(s) of the trailer, which I believe they are referring to as far as affecting tongue weight; where the car is on the trailer, as far as balance, changes the tongue weight and the way the trailer and car will ultimately tow.

Another consideration, with extra room at both the front and rear of the trailer, you can more effectively ratchet the car to the trailer front and rear, without putting undue strain on one end of the car or the other by allowing that extra room where the ratchet won't have to be too short and too tight. Pat always drove a few miles, let the car settle in to the trailer, stopped, checked the ratchets, trailer chain, and tongue, and adjusted them as and if necessary before proceeding.

Pat believed in overkill as opposed to being right on the edge of specifications when towing. He used to tow horse trailers, including horses, to gymkanas and dressage events for his children with his Chevy Blazer; while it was serviceable, it was not like towing the cars with the 3/4 ton, 4-wheel drive Suburban.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A Trailex aluminum trailer would be one solution and regards to tongue weight putting the car on backwards puts the engine weight in back and between the two would most likley meet your specs.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi:
I would suggest that 3500# towing capacity is marginal for what you want to do. Also Cheryl has summed it up quite well, better a little (or a lot) of overkill.
I built a trailer for my Alfa's, but have had many other vehicles on it from Alfa to VW van, including a Land Rover and the Maserati. 16' bed, with a fairly long reach, it allows me to move full lengths of steel if required (20')
It is tandem axle with 4 wheel disc brakes, and I tow it with a 2001 Pathfinder that has a towing capacity of 5000#.
As has been mentioned, with the extra bed length, it allows you to adjust the tongue weight with ease.
Regards Ian.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Here's a photo of my GTV on our 16' trailer with 2-wheel electric brakes. That size seems about right for our Alfa, for weight distribution and ease of strapping it down. Don't think I'd use the BMW as a tow vehicle though, speaking as one who pushes the towing limits a bit from time to time.

I use a Jeep Liberty CRD that has a 5,000 lb towing capacity. That same Jeep and trailer also serve to haul my Ford tractor on short trips, and it's close to 7,000 lbs.

In my opinion, the only way it's even remotely possible to safely tow a GTV with an X3 is to use a weight distributing hitch with sway control. Here's a picture of Equal-i-zer's version: "Weight Distributing Hitch's will improve your trailer sway, weight distribution, and lower stress for trailer safety, Equalizer."

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
yeah i think the bimer is a little uhh small for towing......hell grab a toyota pu or a minivan....most minivans are not rated for it but can safely handle MUCH MUCH more in most cases(mopars escpecialy)

if you insist on haveing the bimer tow...get a tandem axle trailer WITH BRAKES....if you must go single axle..you still want the brakes PERIOD ....a longer trailer will useualy tow better but a trailer with the axle in the right position for the load will always hall perfect no matter the length...

as for your original quastion of length yes it will fit on a 14..i dragged a 79 fetta home on a 13footer

·
Registered
584 Posts
I forgot to say before that I once carried a BMW 3.0 CS on the 13' trailer. So a number of cars should be able to physically fit on a 13 footer.

Doug Bender

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
in theory you could get most alfa's on a 12 footer(milano would be an ugly fit)..asuming its a TRUE 12 foot of flat deck space...its just that the load margin is UGLY and if the car shifts at all your screwed

what about running a tow dolly? cheep small and light enuf to not over do the bimmer....way back i moved my 71 caddy on a dolley behind a 78 corolla wagon...smooooth as silk with no issues what so ever..just wouldnt want any steep hills LOL

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here's why I don't like tow dollies:

- I rented tow dollies twice from U-Haul to tow the Alfa behind my Jeep Cherokee. U-Haul states the speed limit is 45 mph, and sure enough, when I went over 55 the thing started swinging back and forth.
- The way the car is held down is by straps over the wheels. I towed up the Grapevine and at the top got out to look. One strap had come loose so I towed all the way up the Grapevine holding on to one wheel.
- This last reason has mixed reviews. Some say that if you tow an Alfa with the back wheels on the ground and the tranny in neutral you can blow out your tranny.

Doug Bender

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
yeah ive hear that too about the tranny and TOTALY understand but forgot about the alfa transaxle LOL as i useualy hauled 50's 60s 70s american stuff on em.....

admitedly the u-haul units SUCK and are useualy poorly mantained...all of the units ive used have been from "other" places and ive NEVER had a problem towing at 55-65...hauled a dodge dart 150 miles on the freeway behind a corrola wagon at 65 with ZERO issue

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
sniday, save yourself the money and just come borrow mine when you need it. Your BMW is a lease so if something breaks, warranty it!

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Will a 14 Foot Trailer be Suitable for a GTV?

sniday, save yourself the money and just come borrow mine when you need it. Your BMW is a lease so if something breaks, warranty it!
It appears the problem is solved, unless, of course, he's kidding....

A last note about towing, Pat did not use tow dolly(s) either, we either used the trailer and Suburban or a proper tow bar for our Abarths and Alfas, that screwed directly into the frame with the front bumper removed along with either the Suburban or a truck.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Here's a photo of my GTV on our 16' trailer with 2-wheel electric brakes. That size seems about right for our Alfa, for weight distribution and ease of strapping it down. [/url]
WOW, I am no expert, but will the position of the GTV so far forward not give you way too mcuh tongue weight??

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Anthony failed to post a picture of his trailer (which use to be mine until I bought the monster I have now). So, here's a picture with my GTV on it.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts