Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the title says it all. I bought a set of 69 GTV front seats to put in my 72. I like the buttress style and they are the color I want and they are in good condition. I am confident I can make the front seats work, but am not sure 69 rears will work in a 72. Has anyone done this swap? I have been offered a set of 69 rear seats but want to make sure they will fit before I buy them and ship them here.

I suppose I could do a rear seat delete, or get the 72 rear seat recovered to match the 69 fronts...

Thanks,

·
Registered
517 Posts
Matt,

Go to the Sedan section ..Berlina fever...thread # 365...almost last page....you will the interior of my 74 gtv....should be the same as a 72...with the buttress seats...shouldnt be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
Alfasoon:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think there is some uncertainty whether the back seats will interchange between early and late cars. Two areas concern me:

- 1969 model Alfas are definitely "interim" cars, having some characteristics of the early cars (e.g., floor mounted pedals), and the later models (e.g., smooth noses). So, whether the rear seats of '69's are just like those on '72's, or whether '69's match the '65's, is one question.

- The second question is: Did Alfa make changes to the rear seats during the Sprint GT - GTV model run? They did change the dimension of the parcel shelf - it is about 2" longer on an early car than on a late one. Now, whether this means that the rear seat back is more reclined on a later car, or that the detail of the seat top differs, I simply don't know.

This is one of those questions that will be tough to answer definitively over the Internet. From your message, I know that the '69 seats are not local. Still, until you try those seats in your car, I doubt you will know for sure.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Alfasoon:

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think there is some uncertainty whether the back seats will interchange between early and late cars. Two areas concern me:

- The second question is: Did Alfa make changes to the rear seats during the Sprint GT - GTV model run? They did change the dimension of the parcel shelf - it is about 2" longer on an early car than on a late one. Now, whether this means that the rear seat back is more reclined on a later car, or that the detail of the seat top differs, I simply don't know.
jay

i did notice a difference in rear bulk heads... my 69 gtv was different from my 74 gtv. the later version i believe have an section break on the corners near the wheel wells i presume to give additional strength. You will notice the plastic damper acess covers are different on both cars. It has been said the later series 2 1750gtv and 2000gtv cars rear structure are lighter and stronger. And the early stepnose cars are vastly different as you already mentioned with lighting rectangular on both the parcel and the vertical bulk head

happy holidays

d

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I guess the title says it all. I bought a set of 69 GTV front seats to put in my 72. I like the buttress style and they are the color I want and they are in good condition. I am confident I can make the front seats work...

Thanks,
Hello

I used a 1969 front seat in a 1973 2000 GTV, around 25 years ago. It wasn't an exact fit; the spacing between the bolt holes in the floor was different in a way I don't remember. I had to use little steel plates to hold everything together. I wouldn't go this way again as it wouldn't pass a safety inspection.

YB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts