Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am interested in purchasing the OEM star wheels from a 1982 spider. I know they are 14" and the phone dial wheels I have are 15". I am okay with that.

Will the bolt pattern fit?

Do I need different lug nuts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
The are the same bolt pattern and will fit.
However I do believe you will not be able to use the Quads lug nuts with the 5 stars.
I can't remember the exact reason, but seem to recall when I put my phone dials on my cousins Veloce, I couldn't use his lug nuts.
If I had to guess, it might have had to do with thread engagement.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not sure you need new nuts, but if you do, places like AutoZone, PepBoys, etc, will have appropriate nuts you can buy, and a set for all the wheels will be less than $20. I have those wheels on my '87 and replaced the rusted nuts a few years back. The thread on the studs is obviously the same, but look at the part of the wheel hub where the nuts seat on each wheel. If they're the same, you're OK to use your old nuts. I'm in Lutz, so if you need any help, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to give you a hand. I haven't seen a white S4 around here, but I have a black '87 and a silver '92 I don't drive much.

·
Registered
453 Posts
One thing I noticed when I changed wheels. The lug bolts I had in the rear were too short to accommodate the new wheels. I had to replace them with longer bolts. Big job on the rear. From what I read, you need at least 8 threads reach after you install the wheel to be safe.
A wheel falling off at speed can really ruin a drive in the country. :frown2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you went from OEM steel wheels to alloy wheels, true, but the later cars which came with alloys shouldn't have that issue. OP is changing from Phonedials, so there won't be an issue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I never liked the Phonedials, as they're just ridiculously heavy, and lighter wheels make a world of difference.

Here's mine, out on the old Skyway Fishing Pier at sunrise:

·
Registered
585 Posts
The older racing Alfas had chromodoro wheels..Turbinos, or star. They look great, and have very little weight. Makes a difference...and they were factory supplied wheels. Check them out...

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
If your going from phonedial wheels to the veloce (star) wheel. You will not have a problem with the studs. But you can use the phonedial lug nuts with the veloce rims but they will stick out a lot. The veloce rims used a shorter nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts