Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.

I suddenly find myself an Alfa owner once again, after a fifteen year long absence. The wife surprised me with a 1985 Graduate. The car is a one-owner vehicle with a running engine, but has been stored for several years, so naturally needs to be gone through. I would best describe the car as an intact, original core, never hit, with a fairly remarkable body, and ideal for restoration.

I have the Pat Braden "Owner's Bible" book and also the Brooklands owner workshop manual for 1962-1978 models from my previous Alfa ownership experience. However, I'm seeking advice and recommendations for:

• The best workshop manual for my 1985 model year vehicle
  • A decent wiring diagram (I understand there was a gentleman member here who had wiring diagrams, but has since passed on)
  • Your preferred aftermarket retailers and/or parts catalogs
  • A good psychiatrist, because most likely I'll need one after starting down this road again
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The first thing to comes to mind here now that you ask is:
And I know it's just a long shot here but, does your wife have a sister?
And is she single? :D

I know the rest of the guys will have all the right anwers to your question

·
Administrator
17,011 Posts
The best workshop manual for my 1985 model year vehicle
I bought a DVD from Car Disc. It has copies of all the Alfa shop manuals, owners manual, TSB's and even some period advertisements.
A decent wiring diagram
Check your "conversations" - click on the mini avatar in the upper right side of the screen.
Your preferred aftermarket retailers and/or parts catalogs
In the USA there is Centerline Alfa and Vicks. Many are ordering parts from Europe/UK. And they report that shipping times are just as quick as from the US suppliers. That may not be the case currently due to the corona virus situation.
A good psychiatrist...
In the long run the Alfa will probably be cheaper than a shrink...

My wife saw a red sports car she liked. When I told her it was an Italian car (she is Italian) she said, "we should get one". A smart husband knows when to listen to his wife... (she has two sisters but they are nothing liker her)

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Congrats! And welcome back.

After recently buying a crispy GTV6 that sat for years my first suggestion is to go through and replace all the fuel hoses and filters. An oil change, new plugs and then start driving it to see what else it needs.

Anything rubber that's original WI likely need replacing, especially brake hoses, tires, coolant hoses, belts and suspension bushings.

Most electrical issues are due to corrosion on connectors. Removing cleaning and reattaching grounds usually helps, as does cleaning the fuse box and unplugging and replugging connectors together to make fresh connections.

Sounds like a fun project, keep us up to date!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congratulations! I've used Centerline Alfa for parts - they have a good selection and their prices are really reasonable. For minor parts (non-drivetrain) I've had luck with ebay. I've found most starting/ignition problems can be traced back to a bad electrical connection. Other than that, I'm still learning on my new Spider.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
There's a list of parts suppliers around here but here are a few off the top of my head. Shipping from England is fast and reasonable. I have ordered from Getmany but dont remember what shipping was like. Anyhoo:

US:

Centerline
Vick Autosport
Alfissimo

UK:

Classic Alfa
Alfaholics

Germany:

OKP

Centerline and Classic Alfa are my favorites.

·
Registered
749 Posts
All the above, but add this remove the seats, rugs, clean out the boot. Remove the spare tire, clean out the rust there, paint it with por 15. Then get 4 1/2" tall x 3" x 1' wide firm rubber plate, glue these to the floor,at 90 degrees to each other. This will let your spare tire to sit on,and provide air flow under the tire. To prevent any rust to form. Now to removing the seats. First push them FULL forward, this will allow you to take the rear Phillips screws out. Use a big driver to do this. If they don't easily come out, STOP. Don't damage them. Buy,find a impact screwdriver. This will remove the Phillips screws out. After you remove the rears, now the fronts. Seats out ? Now remove the center console ( take notes one wires going to the hazard switch. Sometimes it is a plug, sometimes just loose wires to the switch. Remove the rug and vacuum all the debris up. Now up to you on this. The sound deadner on the floors
You will see lots of cracks in it. Remove? Up to you. Not hard to do most of it ( the cracked parts of it ) after you removed it clean and paint with por 15. Let dry for a few days, then lay down new sound deadner. Replace carpet and seats, but do not use the Phillips screws, replace them with button head Allen screws, and use anti seize on the threads. Put car on jack stands, remove tires/ wheels, you will see a rubber plug in the wheel wells in front of the rear wheels,and behind the front wheels remove these. Under the sills , you will see 3 or 4 drain holes, clean them out.with fresh water from a hose pump water into the sills thru the rubber plugs you removed from the wheel wells. You will be surprised how much junk comes out of the drains on the sills. Let dry in direct sunlight,or get a heat air gun ( blow dryer in a pinch)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a DVD from Car Disc. It has copies of all the Alfa shop manuals, owners manual, TSB's and even some period advertisements.

My wife saw a red sports car she liked. When I told her it was an Italian car (she is Italian) she said, "we should get one". A smart husband knows when to listen to his wife... (she has two sisters but they are nothing liker her)
Thanks, ordering my Car Disc today.

Sounds like your wife and my wife would get along fine (she's an "import", too, albeit from nowhere near Italy!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts