Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Im new here this is my first post; I have no idea how to classify my problem as i have never seen anything like it so I'm sorry if someone else has already posted about this; I don't know what to search for.

So I bought my first alfa last week; a 67 1300 Junior GT which has had the 2000 nord swapped into it.

My problem is that if you push on the gear stick (in gear or neutral) left or right it will move about 30cm in whichever direction.. Not the wobble of a worn box but it moves slowly as if the whole gearbox was turning (but its not of course). Also when you stop pushing the gear stick stays there, so the position of the entire H pattern has now moved.

Does anyone know what is going on here? or is this just another one of those alfa things?

Let me know if this doesn't make any sense and I'll try to explain it again

Any help would be very much appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Most likely it's just the shift lever that is moving. There is a pinch bolt at the bottom of the lever; if it's loose, the lever can rotate as you push it. Because the lever is so long, it'll seem like the box is moving.

There is a flat on the transmission stub. IF you have the OEM shoulder bolt in the lever, it should index on the flat. You probably have a slightly too small standard bolt as well.

There is the outer shift lever cover which requires removing the console, but there are also two rubber accordion sleeves as well under that. Quite a bit of work to get thru all that for a loose bolt.

Look in the BB suppliers thread - Alfa Parts Exchange (APE) in Tracy CA will likely have the correct bolt for you.

Robert

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You kinda lost me there so I just went and pulled it all apart =)
I found the pitch bolt but its as tight as I can get it!
I guess I'll take the lever off and look for a flat spot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you are a genius my friend!
the bolt was too small and had no shank to index properly with the stub. should be an easy fix =)
still gotta drop the box out just to get at the reverse light switch though..

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
That is the only 7 mm bolt on the older Alfa's. It's hardened as well so as not to break when tight.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Shifter

Eveb with the correct 7mm bolt tightened to near failure point the shifter tends to move. An old machinist trick will solve that.

Clean all lubricant off of both the inside of the shifter reciever and the shift rod on the trans. Rub chalk liberally on the post and in the reciever. It will lock the shifter in place when tightened.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
67 Junior:

Gordon Raymond and Richard Jameson are two of the top Alfa Experts on the Alfa BB. You are blessed to get their excellent advice!

Robert

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
Probably because we are the same age, have been doing Alfa work about the same length of time, suffered identical injuries in race cars, like people though we are both crabby. We had similar jobs in the financial sector until injury sidelined us both. Oddly we did not collide with one another.
We also work with one another and shout at one another periodically as friends.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha well I do appreciate the help!
I cant say I have much knowledge on alfas.. yet =)
I've got a peculiar range of cars now
- 69 mustang mach 1 (American)
- 64 mini moke (British)
- 76 ta22 celica which scares the crap out of me (Japanese)
- and my new 67 junior (Italian)

Also I promised my girlfriend that I wouldn't do too much work on the alfa, but it needs a bit (new floors/sills, carb rebuild, new suspension, ill build some nice equal length headers, an intake and fresh paint). should I put up a build thread or not worry about it as its nothing too interesting?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
BB members love this stuff. Keep us all in the loop. Others ARE doing exactly what you are, run into the same issues and questions. The wise BB member knows that there is no such thing as a "dumb question" and there is always someone here with reasonable answers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts