Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this '75 and I can't seem to get the engine to fit.

What's wrong? Why won't it fit?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! :geek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the wonderful advice!

But I think this one might work a little better.

But only after I've had a chance to make a few improvements.

I just bought this '75 with a hardtop and original A/C (from dealership, of course), last month, after it had been sitting for about 8 years. A few weeks of driving produced a coolant leak at the back of the timing-chain cover, just above the alternator. It's a shame to have to pull the engine to fix a simple gasket; but, stop-leak didn't really work. And what better excuse to improve the leak-down numbers and fix what I hope is just cracked rings (burning a little oil), on the #4 cylinder.

So.... new pistons & liners--not sure which kind yet--as well as new bearings. Has anyone had any experience with the JE 85mm piston liner set (10.5:1 or 11:1?) At nearly twice the cost of regular Motronic 10:1, I'm not sure it's worth it - especially if the mpg suffers too much. I've been getting 27mpg with it 'as is' (commuting 80+ miles/day), so I think the Motronic 10:1 might actually improve that. But not quite sure what a bigger bore would do. I'm curious to find-out. But, if it's not a significant-bump-in-power with little cost, than I'm not going to bother with it. I'd rather save the money and get a new dash and carpets.

Cheers!

Thanks for joining in my silly gag. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the JE 85mm piston liner set (10.5:1 or 11:1?) At nearly twice the cost of regular Motronic 10:1, ..... But not quite sure what a bigger bore would do. I'm curious to find-out. But, if it's not a significant-bump-in-power with little cost,
The "2 liter" Alfa engine actually displaces 1,962 cc's with a stock, 84mm bore. Increasing the bore to 85mm would increase the displacement to 2,009cc's, but that's only a 2.4% increase in displacement. Assuming the compression ratio remains about the same, I guess you'd increase hp by about 2.4%.

I assume these aftermarket pistons are made 1mm larger than stock to allow the used liners to be re-used by just taking .5mm off their walls to clean them up. They aren't sufficiently larger to give any significant increase in displacement.

·
Registered
396 Posts
it Takes a lot to do a swap like that. If you are asking for advice online on how to do the swap you should probably not do it. No one can answer that question since no one is there next to the car. You are taking a car that was engineered for a 4cyl engine and placing a much bigger heavier and torquier engine. Just saying takes lots of fabrication possible yes easy no✌

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it Takes a lot to do a swap like that. If you are asking for advice online on how to do the swap you should probably not do it. No one can answer that question since no one is there next to the car. You are taking a car that was engineered for a 4cyl engine and placing a much bigger heavier and torquier engine. Just saying takes lots of fabrication possible yes easy no✌
Cheers!

Thanks for joining in my silly gag.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
If you are trying to hot the car up a bit, the low hanging fruit is in the head. Probably better use of money for this application than fancy forged pistons.

If you were building a full-on race or high performance motor, you'd do both, but it doesn't sound like that's what this motor is about.

If you want to put a v8 in it, an LS is much more compact. It will fit ? In seriousness, V8 swaps have been done, but the problem is you won't find a rear end nearly as light weight as the Alfa rear end that can handle the torque of an American v8, so you ruin the handling. I suppose you could theoretically engineer an IRS that is light and could handle the power, but at some point it becomes no longer Alfa if you aren't preserving the original drivetrain or suspension.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I have an extra Ferrari 355 (5 valves/cyl.) if you like? We had considered putting it into a 1970 Dodge Power Wagon.

I like the low hanging fruit being in the Alfa cyl. head. Who out there is doing this work? and how $$

thank you,

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I had 2400.00 worth of work done on my head. I should know in a couple of weeks how this story turns out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
There a few good head builders out there. I had mine done by Steve Hannaford at Progressive Automotive who did really nice work for a reasonable price (I believe it's around $1,200 for a nice street performance head ready to bolt on, although mine is closer to a race head and is customized for forced induction and was a bit more). The downside is that most performance head guys are backlogged quite a bit. You may have trouble getting something done in less than 6 months (mine was longer than that). Centerline also does a basic street performance head (not prepped to quite the same degree) upon request. RJR does them and has even sold completed heads on the BB from time to time. Of course, you can also tackle yourself or find a local machine shop willing to do the work.

If you don't want to go through all of that, some basic port matching and cams will go a long way. A set of RJR cams will cost you the same as forged pistons and will do a lot more for you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 308 is for the car next to it in the garage. It was rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago and the gearbox (the reason the engine is out - a bad 3rd gear, or so I thought), was redone by Eric Sanders.

But, if I was going to put a V8 in the Alfa, and I've discussed (well, joked more than discussed) this with Anthony Rimicci, I'd put a Hartley V8 in it and call it good. And, that would tuck very neatly into an Alfa Spider with a size that is (roughly): 18"(L)x18"(h)x20"(w @ top) and < 10"(w @ bot) . But, you'd still have to drive it "relatively" slow - at least, slow for 'that' motor.

But that's $25k better spend on something else too ...like maybe a Hawk Stratos.

I'll post more pictures (this weekend, I hope) when I figure out what's wrong with the 2000 motor, besides the coolant leak. I'm expecting to find cracked rings in #4. But hopefully nothing else.

Cheers!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have an extra Ferrari 355 (5 valves/cyl.) if you like? We had considered putting it into a 1970 Dodge Power Wagon.

I like the low hanging fruit being in the Alfa cyl. head. Who out there is doing this work? and how $$

thank you,
Interesting offer! I had a similar offer from Tom Meade about 10 years ago with regards to my GT4. I was part of a group of guys who met regularly on Wed. nights in Westwood and we'd sit around, drink coffee and talk about cars - Ferrari's mostly.

"I have a 355 motor just sitting in my garage, do you want to put that in your GT4?", he asked. And he was genuinely serious! He wasn't doing anything with it, and thought putting it in my car sounded like a fun project.

I didn't decline; but, I never followed-up and then, unfortunately, he passed away a few years later. Tom was a character - to be sure! - but he was also a very nice man.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting offer! I had a similar offer from Tom Meade about 10 years ago with regards to my GT4. I was part of a group of guys who met regularly on Wed. nights in Westwood and we'd sit around, drink coffee and talk about cars - Ferrari's mostly.

"I have a 355 motor just sitting in my garage, do you want to put that in your GT4?", he asked. And he was genuinely serious! He wasn't doing anything with it, and thought putting it in my car sounded like a fun project.

I didn't decline; but, I never followed-up and then, unfortunately, he passed away a few years later. Tom was a character - to be sure! - but he was also a very nice man.

View attachment 1616372

View attachment 1616372
Try transverse mount

1 - 20 of 52 Posts