·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am stumped.

Yesterday my 79 decided not to start.
No spark
Found the points were not opening.

Removed them , cleaned them up, reinstalled, gapped to .015. Put a test light in series between the coil feeder wire and the point. Turned over the eingine and I get light on, light off, light on, light off etc. Excellent.

At the same time. removed my coil cleaned it up, cleaned mount, replaced screws and reinstall. Excellent.
Found the two green wires (1 solid, 1 green/black) were reversed on the coil ballast. Corrected and tested. Excellent.

Cleaned everything up, cleaned the points tips with gasoline. lightly lubed the cam, put the cap on. Excellent

Removed all of the plugs, cleaned regapped and spark tested them against the block. Nice blue sparks on all 4. Excellent.

Restart. No start, backfiring and big Flames coming out the carburetor. Set my filter on fire. Recheck plug wiring 25 different ways. Cant seem to find any problem.

What can be wrong
Is the firing order is 1-3-4-2.
Looking at the dist cap, using the condenser as a reference, moving clockwise 1-condenser-3-4-2. Is this correct

Cylinders are 1-2-3-4.
1 being by the rediator
4 being by the windshield

Have I wired it right.
What am i doing wrong.

BTW
Has converetd spica to webbers
Has a Bosch distributor

HELP!!!

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
No start, backfiring and big Flames coming out the carburetor.
Can't answer most of your questions but those symptoms - that's classic 180 out on your distributor wiring. That's my best guess.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I think your firing order is incorrect.

Remove the #1 spark plug. Rotate the engine to TDC with both #1 cylinder's valves closed. That should be TDC on the power stroke. Remove the distributor cap. If the distributor is oriented correctly, the rotor should be pointing towards the front the of car (#1 cylinder spark plug). From there, go clockwise with 3, then 4, then 2.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your help....

Just to close off this post.
I got my car running.

Rewire the coil wiring, replace connectors.
Install a starter relay. 40A SPST
Replace very faulty starter
Clean battery posts and Neg ground
Replace plugs and correctly wire distributor cap (Duh)
Reset Dwell.

Runs good.
Believe it or not it was the starter that was causing the grief. Installed another one that I had laying around and it fired up first try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts