Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my car in Italy, it ran perfect! From Italy, shipped it to Dallas, drove it to Arkansas, and now it in Los Angeles. Brand new battery in now, the car lights, pump, and everything comes on. When I go to start it, it won't turn over. Why? When I was in Italy the mechanic there installed a relay that says 'Ford' on it. I know one of the wires going to it is a thick red wire. People tell me to sell it but I have SENTIMENTAL value and MEMORIES in this car. Can anybody help me?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
When you say it won't turn over do you mean the motor will not crank over or that the motor cranks over but will not start? I know this seems like a retarded question but different people use different tremonology. Sell It??? Of course not. Whatever is the problem it certainly is not serious enough to warrant selling the car.

If the motor will not crank over and a mechanic in Italy installed a remote starter relay (not originally on your spider but a lot of owners do install such a relay) then the relay is the first place to start looking for the problem. Any half way decent auto mechanic should be able to bypass the starter relay to test out the starter itself. If the car starts after bypassing the relay then you should temporarly unwire the relay. If the car operates normally after bypassing the relay, you can decide on replacing the relay, or doing away with it completely and returning your spider to it's original (no starter relay installed) condition.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies! The motor cranks but will NOT start. I LOVE this car and would really love to get it running so the wife and I can cruise. I'm in west Los Angeles. There is a shop, John's Alfa Romance, that I have thought about taking it to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ford relay

Just a thought, but Ford makes a recommended rollover kill sw. for the fuel pump. Is the fuel pump audible when you turn the key to on?

·
Premium Member
14,004 Posts
Remove one of the spark plugs, connect the HT wire and rest the plug on top of the engine so that the metal of the spark plug is in contact with the engine. Now have someone try to start the engine and observe the spark plug. You should see and hear a white spark - not a red one. If you see the white spark then you most likely have a fuel problem. No white spark means an ignition problem. We can help you with either one but they require different tests.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I pulled the spark plug closest to the front, put the wire back on and placed it on engine, cranked it and got no white spark. The car is also Spica fuel injected. Thanks for your replies!

·
Premium Member
14,004 Posts
Okay, I pulled the spark plug closest to the front, put the wire back on and placed it on engine, cranked it and got no white spark. The car is also Spica fuel injected. Thanks for your replies!
Do you have a voltmeter? If so, measure the voltage from a clean ground (the engine or car body) to the + terminal of the coil. It should be about 12 volts when you turn on the ignition and when you try to start it.

·
Richard Jemison
7,381 Posts
No start

If the car has Marelli plex, remove the ignition module that is located in the aluminum heat sink under the coil.(a GM HEI common failure point) and replace it. Don`t buy the cheap versions, Accel makes a better version) Every autoparts store keeps these of some brand in stock.

The coil should be a .4 ohm coil as well.

·
Premium Member
14,004 Posts
Alfar7, I don't see that part on my vehicle. There is nothing underneath the coil but empty space...
Marelliplex was introduced after 1978 but there was a chance that your car had been retro-fitted. My '79 did not have one when it left the factory but it had one when I bought it. You probably have a points distributor.

·
Premium Member
14,004 Posts
There is often no telling why things fail when they do. You could say that if it is going to fail then why not now. It is probably something simple and I recommend that you use logical troubleshooting to find it. There are plenty of enthusiasts who will help you to do that. Guessing and swapping things out should only be used when logical deduction fails.
You should be able to buy a test meter from Harbor Freight for less than $10.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright. I will go to Harbor Freight in the am. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction to getting my car back on the road.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Did you pay the " immigration" fee? lol....

just kidding..

it should be easy , a mechanic should be able to figure it out...you need fuel, compression and spark, then it should run..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I went to Harbor Freight and got the meter. The coil is reading 0.01 ohm and I get 9.61 for the voltage to the coil. The battery, which is brand new, reads 11.96V. Any suggestions? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts