Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 74 GTV radiator back from getting an eval on re-core vs. rodding at my local radiator shop. Rodding is $282 and re-core (2 row) is $494.

Classic Alfa sells new aftermarket ones for $265.

Any reason not to just get the new one from Classic Alfa? Does anyone have experience with it? Any problems with fit or function?

Reactions: dmericas

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Just confirm the orientation of the overflow connection at the top filler if thats important to you. The last time I spoke with CA, the photo on their website may not exactly portray the orientation of what they have in stock.

·
2,411 Posts
My local rad guy, a car collector himself, looked at an original GTV rad this fall and commented the original type of core is not available here (North America). They can adapt some other type of tube/fin combination, but may not offer maximum cooling performance.

Original Alfa rads had substantial cooling capacity, hardly ever overheated when everything was in shape.

·
Super Moderator
12,374 Posts
Maybe get an aluminum upgrade for not much more?
In what way is an aluminum radiator an upgrade? Visually, they're all wrong. And as Yves says above, the OE copper radiators work quite well. I'm not getting why anyone would "upgrade" to aluminum.

Reactions: Alex

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me weight savings is not a factor, so not sure if aluminum buys me anything for my application.

I think the best bet is to restore original equipment.
Beautiful results on your radiator. I tend to agree on restoration in most cases, but at twice the cost, I just don’t see the advantage in this case as long as fit and function of aftermarket is good. Sounds like @gprocket who has touched a lot of cars has had good results.

@gprocket diff topic, but you mentioned aftermarket gas tank. Have you found one that fits well for SPICA GTVs? Last I knew the filler neck on aftermarket wasn’t quite right.

·
Registered
753 Posts
To quote google Alfajay. An aluminum radiator with 2 rows with 1" tubes is equivalent to a brass radiator with 5 rows with 1/2' tubes and an aluminum radiator provides higher efficiency, is lighter and has longer life than a brass/copper radiator.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I think that is a quote from the company that manufactures Alloy Rads.
The first thing I did on my 64 GT sprint was: pull the radiator had it boiled out, flow tested, pressure checked and thermal scan for any cold spots . $170
That was six years ago.... in 100 degree heat the car runs temps within normal limits. ( I also have the stock fan shroud in place).

The second thing was to drop the oil sump and clean the sediment (****) which insulates the cooling characteristic of the oil sump.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am not saying an aluminum radiator is for everyone but if mine bites the dust I am buying an aluminum before I spend a lot of money to have my original re cored. I did spend $75 to have a leak in mine fixed a year ago for my spider but anymore than that I will just buy a new aluminum one. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I saw a post here on the bb on this aluminum radiator source a few months ago. Has anyone used one of the yet and has a report?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,580 Posts
The Alibaba one is not what Classic Alfa sells: their aluminum radiators are made in the UK, but very spendy. For their OEM-stye radiators, they claim to have a new one that's higher quality and improves the fit issues.

I've had good luck with CA recommendations, and were I replacing mine I'd probably just go with their OEM-style one rather than recoring an old one. Actually I'd probably just say "screw it" and spend the money on the aluminum one, but even I'd admit that's overkill.

Rectangle Font Gas Output device Composite material

Font Rectangle Fashion accessory Automotive lighting Grille

Reactions: pennzo

·
2,411 Posts
Has anyone used one of the yet and has a report?
Its been discussed in a Spider thread and there were fit issues, nothing terminal though. I can't find the thread right now.

Should anybody want to go that route, Alibaba lists three models: pre-1750, 1750-2000 Spider, 1750-2000 GTV.

The Alibaba one is not what Classic Alfa sells
I should hope that for $800 I would not get one of those!

Should I need a new rad (and my 1974 rad tested perfectly fine during my visit at the rad shop), my preference would be to get it recored locally. But then, I have a rad guy I trust 5 minutes from home.

·
Super Moderator
12,374 Posts
To quote google Alfajay. An aluminum radiator with 2 rows with 1" tubes is equivalent to a brass radiator with 5 rows with 1/2' tubes and an aluminum radiator provides higher efficiency, is lighter and has longer life than a brass/copper radiator.
Maybe

But an aluminum radiator looks silly in a vintage Alfa. And a correct brass radiator cools just fine. Whether your thermostat stays 75% open or 80% open, as long as the coolant temperature is the same, what's the difference?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,580 Posts
But an aluminum radiator looks silly in a vintage Alfa.
Heh, we'll just have to disagree on that. Anyway, it's not like my GTV engine bay is stock or I'm taking the car to Pebble Beach.

And a correct brass radiator cools just fine. Whether your thermostat stays 75% open or 80% open, as long as the coolant temperature is the same, what's the difference?
All true, but I'd still get one because shiny lightweight aluminum :D

There's also theoretically a corrosion advantage of getting brass out of the cooling system. Having brass connected to aluminum/steel via the coolant can promote corrosion of the latter via galvanic action. This can be minimized by keeping the coolant fresh, but an aluminum radiator can eliminate the risk.

(Yeah, Alfa designed these cars with brass, but they didn't design them to last 40+ years)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would believe ether way OME or Aluminum works great. There is two factors that one has to ask them self.
1. Am I an OME person and enjoy the stock look under the hood.
2. Am I a performance person and enjoy making it my own.

Last note that has been mentioned…..regular maintenance is the key to long lasting components.

Ken

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm having my Duetto radiator rodded right now....and if it needs a re-core sometime in its future, I will go that route. Aluminum mat be the wave of the future, but .... and its a big but, I understand they are next to impossible to fix... like the new plastic radiators..... so there's my sign.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts