Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I say radweld I refer to all "leakfix" coolant additives.

I have been recommissioning a car that has not run for about 5 years.

I quickly found that the radiator was damaged, when I got it out I found it was full of dust...

Once a new rad and pipework was installed I got the engine running for the first time to discover that the pump was leaking...got it off and it had red lumps caked everywhere, it was like someone had emptied an orbital sander bag into the pump... destroying the bearing.

Then found that the thermostat was jammed open.. again due to this odd sludge everywhere..it had stuck the thermostat open.

I then found out that the PO had been trying to fix coolant seepage using radweld...

I also developed an annoying oil leak from the head gasket, so I took the head off today to find the water chamber is filled to the top with radweld gloop ! So now it all needs to come out and be properly cleaned.

Also found root of oil leak... No rubber rings, just some red sealant... and the remains of one ring that looks like it has been chewed by a squirrel.

Lesson learnt... No radweld, fix it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lock down those cylinders before you do any work on the clean up.

·
Registered
951 Posts
This sounds like a case where someone thought if one can is good, 8 cans would be a lot better better.

There was a story in the news a few years ago when someone wanting to kill the bugs in his house. He bought a bunch of those aerosol cans, the kind that you "set it and forget it". The fire depart said there might have been 12 cans in the house. The gas reached the gas water heater and the windows were blown out plus some fire damage.....:oops:.

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
All I can say is wow and you might want to get a different block.
Agree. I doubt you'll ever get all that stuff out. I think the PO probably used too much stop leak, but I think that letting the car sit for five years compounded the problem. If he had left the radweld in there for a few hundred miles and then replaced the coolant, things probably would have been OK. But letting it set up solid throughout the cooling system may have destroyed that block and head.

samakijoe said:
Lock down those cylinders before you do any work on the clean up.
I don't think that will be a problem - I'd guess they are glued in there pretty well. In fact, if Laikathedog want to try salvaging that block, I predict that removing the liners will be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
A guy who works on Alfas and other Europen cars for a living told me that these products contribute to stuck cylinder heads - they act like a glue between the studs and the holes in the head.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
I think the PO just overdid the radweld stuff....obviously the PO was flogging a dead horse....you can see that red gunk already made it between the head gasket.

what year is this? (there are no rolled pins in the block)

little side note: arexons, the italian additive (mentioned in the alfa tech bulletin) is actually still in business....if anyone wants to buy a can;)

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
The spaces between the cylinders appear to be full of red rust to me. Maybe the PO used a stop leak product without any coolant or with no anti-corrosion properties. The steel head studs and liners may be badly corroded.

Mark

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's not from the proper use of a radiator sealer. That's more like years of adding chemi weld or some other head gasket fix it product.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts