Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do a lot of people shut down their cars until the spring?

Is it just because it is cold?

I understand that if there is rain / snow on the ground, why not to take it out, but if it is just cold and the roads are dry, you should still drive your cars.

Alfa's are made to be driven and not sit in hibernation.

Just wondering from those that put their cars away for a few months as I live in NJ, but still like to take my car out all year round.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,464 Posts
In my case it's because there's still salt on the roads even when they appear to be dry. I usually wait until there are a couple of hard rains after they stop salting the roads before I take mine out. Your '92 and '17 Alfas have much better rustproofing than my '67 and '69 so maybe it isn't as much of an issue. As I get older and have less years of driving ahead of me, I may relent and take my beater Berlina out some in the winter though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I drive my Alfas year round too. As long as it’s dry and no salt on the roads. Sometimes I have to wait for a cleansing rain though. It’s especially nice to enjoy the car on a very cold and early Sunday morning with no traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Salt.

We use a lot of it during the Winter here in Southern Ontario for good reason.

I wait for 2 good solid rains in the Spring, then she is good to go again.

Salt is not friendly to our any any cars.

Vin

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I first had Alfas (80s and 90s), it was my only car. I felt pride as I drove my spiders top down every month of the year.

Now, as I am a bit older, and have a running spider for the first time in (20!) years, I hope to still be as foolish as I was in my 20s and 30s, however, I also hope to use the winter time to take care of a bit of the factory applied rust.

Mo in NJ
78 Spider

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never drive my Alfa Spider if there is salt on the ground, but if the roads are dry and clear I would.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I always drive mine in the winter. There is almost always a day in mid January which is Sunny and warm enough to fold the top for a while.
If Talking history, the GTV-6 was the best Snow car I ever had. One day my wife was out early and saw a pickup slid off the road. Turned out to be one of the public works guys who was going to be driving the snow plows. She gave him a lift! Snow plow driver get to work in an Alfa Romeo!
Lou

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I mean by taking the car out in the winter, at least once a month is realistic to have decent weather to do it in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, I drive mine all year long. We have over 300 days of sun a year and we dont use salt, if on those rare occasions it snows... is rough out here in CA. But we ARE in the middle of fire season!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine stays in the garage over winter, so does my wifes 939 Spider. We dont get too much salt here on the south coast, but its the rain that the UK get that does the damage, nearly as much rain as Seattle!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Side note, when a car is stored it should be kept on a battery tender and with a full tank of gas, also add stabil to the gas. Good luck

·
Premium Member
15,426 Posts
Depends on where you live and just how much salt they use o the roads.

My Alfas since 1965 have always been driven at any time of the year, always being DDs, the 91S being the present DD. The Seattle area doesn't use too much salt, usually just in the city itself, the suburban roads often untended, lol. Still, I usually don't drive the cars much until it has rained some, usually don't have to wait very long, lol. Our snow, if we get it, is usually very slushy and wet, and usually around freezing or above temperatures. Really wet, packing quickly to wet running water ice. Superman couldn't drive on that stuff. Whereas, cold dry snow, no problem, sort of like being on packed sand.

No rust whatsoever on any of the three present Alfas, and even not worth talking about on the previous cars, except for the 75 sedan, which I had to drive in DC for two years. Really bad rust on that car, all from being there, and of course, the so-called Russian steel problem.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
When you live in Michigan, as I do, there are plenty of reasons to put your Alfa in hibernation for about 5 months. The first one is Salt and a close second are the numerous potholes (we can boast the worst roads in the country). It also gives me some time to do maintenance. And last but not least, it saves me from paying 5 months of the highest insurance rate in the country. Other than that, Michigan is a great state! The end-of-October color tour with the top down and the heat on high is awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
There are lots of Alfa and old sporty cars from 40 or 50 years ago that just don't make driving in winter fun in northern climes.. period.. Lousy heaters and defrosters, pitiful wipers, cold starting issues, leaky soft tops.. the list is endless. I drive my cars in winter as a favor to the cars not me. If I can get 10-20 miles under one in Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar..it makes me happy and the car happy especially the brakes and tires and fluid circulation... but it isn't for pleasure which is what they are meant to be for..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
So soon old and so late smart!

My 1959 two liter spider AR10204*00126+ was my DAILY DRIVER from 1965 until 1990 and that meant it went everywhere I went on any day. I had three engines and could switch an engine on a weekend if necessary and then start working on it as I completed the third one if it wasn't already waiting on the stand. But even without salt in Seattle (we do have it now) the rust became bad and then worse and finally just too darn bad. Besides, the heater was a joke and basically produced only enough heat to keep the windows defrosted when it got cold. And then when I spent lots of money to have all the rust cut out and real lead used to do all the seams again it became the middle car in a three car sandwich. And when I got that fixed a parking attendant forgot to set the brake and the car rolled backward to tear off a door. One would think I should have stored it in some sanctuary and burned incense. But my spouse had a nice Mercury station wagon to haul the kids around, so we got by and I got more and more cars to work on and started driving others. But it is still the same. The day before yesterday my 1994 164LS with 201,088 miles suddenly started to heat and blew out the radiator. I must have bumped at some pot hole the bottom of the radiator and jammed it up against the top. So it doesn't matter what Alfa one drives. There are always extra dangers for it because they are built to be closer to the ground and one drives them to enjoy them. That seems dangerous to cars. HOWEVER, IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO DRIVE SOMETHING OTHER THAN AN ALFA, SUMMER OR WINTER, YOU HAVE ANOTHER THINK COMING. There is absolutely no other valid reason to even have one except that one likes driving it. Why must anyone suffer just because it is winter?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
In Minnesota it's not feasible to drive our old Alfas in the winter. Lots of salt use and, unlike the Northeast, we rarely get that cleansing rain from Dec-Feb. Plus it gets so cold here that, even if you could get that 20W-50 oil up to a reasonable enough temperature to start the car, the summer / all season tire compounds get hard and sketchy. I am lucky enough to have a heated / insulated garage and the heater in my 1970 Giulia absolutely cranks so will drive that one right up until the snow flies (usually sometime in November). After that it goes away for winter projects and we amuse ourselves with skating, skiing, fireside bourbon, and youtube videos of other people's Alfas. A new Giulia Q4 with Blizzaks, on the other hand, hmm...

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Here in Buffalo, NY I would never take any one of our sporting cars out after the first salting and not until several spring rains have washed the roads thoroughly. Also I never take any out in the rain and never park outside in the rain. I value the sports cars in my collection highly and it just seems dumb to promote deterioration of expensive toys.

Maybe it's the recollection of repairing rusted out hulks in the '70's and 80's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts