Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find any reference to why it is called 33.
Inquireing minds want to know.
This is the only reference I can find:
Simply dubbed 33, the new racer made its debut in the 1967 season

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
105.33 - yes, it's a 105 series :eek: > 105 tipo 33
Unless I am missing something important, the 105 series is a front engine, solid rear axle, 4 cylinder "Nord" engine, passenger car. The original Tipo 33 was a mid engine, transaxle, cast Magnesium frame with a 2 liter V8 in a dedicated race car. How can this be called a 105 series car?

The other 33 was a later sedan, but sidewaysalfa specifically mentions the type of race car that I saw at Sebring in 1967

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
You are missing something important ;)

The tipo 33 was developed for sports car racing and was referred to as 105.33. The first prototype used a TZ-2 engine. This designation was carried on in the factory and included the race versions, as well as the 33 stradale. Now the chassis prefix in actuality was 750.33 for the earlier 2 liter cars despite the 105.33 type designation that was used by the factory - also see Fusi and others.

T33/3 early on were usually 750.80 and later 115.72.

33TT12 and 33SC12 were usually 115.12.

Unless I am missing something important, the 105 series is a front engine, solid rear axle, 4 cylinder "Nord" engine, passenger car. The original Tipo 33 was a mid engine, transaxle, cast Magnesium frame with a 2 liter V8 in a dedicated race car. How can this be called a 105 series car?

The other 33 was a later sedan, but sidewaysalfa specifically mentions the type of race car that I saw at Sebring in 1967

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my answer

Thanks guys. Knew somebody smarter than me would know it.
I will try to repeat your answer. Tipo 33 was just the model designation ".33" and nothing significant like 8c3200, etc.
Reason, is we have a new T-Shirt with artwork showing a version of the 33. I like to include some short history in the description. Probably leave the 33 part out and say something about 2liter V8, tube frame, or whatever.
Thanks a bunch.
Interesting that it was a 105. I'm sure it made sense to somebody at Alfa.
obtw, I get some of my car info from either Wikipedia and Conceptcarz. Racingsportscars is a great source on where cars finished and who was driving at many races. I used it to verify that a neighbor of ours did run Indy in 1934, and when a friend's dad ran Daytona 24 hr back in the day.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Tipo 33 is the shizzle ... should definitely be on your T-shirt ... that name is as significant as 8C, GTA, TZ, Alfetta etc.

Thanks guys. Knew somebody smarter than me would know it.
I will try to repeat your answer. Tipo 33 was just the model designation ".33" and nothing significant like 8c3200, etc.
Reason, is we have a new T-Shirt with artwork showing a version of the 33. I like to include some short history in the description. Probably leave the 33 part out and say something about 2liter V8, tube frame, or whatever.
Thanks a bunch.
Interesting that it was a 105. I'm sure it made sense to somebody at Alfa.
obtw, I get some of my car info from either Wikipedia and Conceptcarz. Racingsportscars is a great source on where cars finished and who was driving at many races. I used it to verify that a neighbor of ours did run Indy in 1934, and when a friend's dad ran Daytona 24 hr back in the day.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
copyright is weird

Tipo 33 is on the shirt.
Funny about trade mark issues though. This shirt is from a work of art that existed before the t-shirt and the artist used Tipo 33: no problem. But if I make a shirt design from scratch I cannot use anything that may be trade marked, like Tipo 33 , Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Nurburgring, etc, without permission. And no way do you get Alfa's permission, same with Porsche.
That is why you see so many generic T Shirts. We work with licensing wheneve possible, or try to make the shirt as Un-Generic as possible or do like we do with the Tipo 33.

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Tipo 33 is on the shirt.
Funny about copyright issues though. This shirt is from a work of art that existed before the t-shirt and the artist used Tipo 33: no problem. But if I make a shirt design from scratch I cannot use anything that may be copyrighted, like Tipo 33 , Porsche, Alfa Romeo, Nurburgring, etc, without permission. And no way do you get Alfa's permission, same with Porsche.
That is why you see so many generic T Shirts. We work with licensing wheneve possible, or try to make the shirt as Un-Generic as possible or do like we do with the Tipo 33.
It seem you're talking about trade marks (more specifically: word marks), not copyright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts