Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows why? Factory specs shows bore for the Alfa boxers to be tapered. More importantly what are we compromising if it's not tapered. I don't think many have access to machines that can do it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have never come across this phenomenon in my experience with boxer motors. sound's rather odd, particularly as I see no real gain for it being tapered. Can you post some numbers so we can see how tapered the bores are? Is it in the manual under the specs?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it should be like 0.01 mm. This was highlighted to me by an Alfa service technician. I came across in some factory workshop manual as such too.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Arn't they all tapered? Tighter at the top to seal better when the pressure is high.

·
Administrator
13,668 Posts
I've rebored my old Sud motors and never had any issues ... motors are just motors, they all have pistons, rods, valves and crankshafts ... and yeah a bit of special details but the same concept.
Pete

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Old artillery guns used to have tapered bores to make the thing go off with a bigger bang (I think the Germans developed it the idea for one of their later tanks, IIRC), but the barrels didn't last very long. First I've heard of this idea applied to a piston barrel, but who knows ....

·
Registered
755 Posts
I believe it should be like 0.01 mm. This was highlighted to me by an Alfa service technician. I came across in some factory workshop manual as such too.
A taper of 0.01mm in one sweep of a bore is not that greater number and I wouldn't be concerned with it for a rebuild. Many people on here will tell you they have rebuilt their engines (myself included) and never had any issues.
Perhaps the taper arose due to the boring tool expanding from heat as it reached the end of drilling the bore...:rolleyes: who knows...if yours is no longer tapered after machining, think of the larger gap as holding more oil for lubrication!

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,888 Posts
I`ve rebuilt/reconditioned hundreds of boxers and it`s the first I`ve heard of a tapered bore. Don`t worry about it, just treat it as with every other engine and measure/bore to paralell within specs.

Richard J

·
Registered
612 Posts
another interesting concept from sepent33
i wouldnt worry about it for an everyday car, but if you have to beat someone on the recetrack the .01 taper may become 1/10th second on the track!
sounds like an expensive 1/10th sec

1 - 10 of 10 Posts