Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Chan, apparently there were (non-U.S.) Celica GTV models. GTV emblem on the rear of this one. Great looking coupes!

My '73 Celica was an ST with a 1.8 liter mill that went through hell with me. Lost all its water, overheated, stopped running, inexperienced owner poured cold water in the radiator with the engine off. Sat for 15 minutes and then fired right up again. I used the parking brake as a sliding device constantly. I still miss that POS (bondo-buggy).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,284 Posts
That Celica is a lovely looking car. I would like to have one.

I haven't driven one yet, how does it compare to a REAL GTV?

My dad had ane early 70s Corolla which I think is mechanically similar to the Celica, 1.8 with dual carb. Is that the same mechanics as a Celica?
That engine was great, nothing can stop it running, it was flooded (the whole car was flooded), overheated, anything imaginable happened to it and still running until the body rusted through.

The e-brake was fun, my dad had to keep my hand from touching the handbrake when he was driving.

Because I would pull the handbrake and force my dad to save the sliding car. :D

67GTV said:
Yeah Chan, apparently there were (non-U.S.) Celica GTV models. GTV emblem on the rear of this one. Great looking coupes!

My '73 Celica was an ST with a 1.8 liter mill that went through hell with me. Lost all its water, overheated, stopped running, inexperienced owner poured cold water in the radiator with the engine off. Sat for 15 minutes and then fired right up again. I used the parking brake as a sliding device constantly. I still miss that POS (bondo-buggy).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,139 Posts
The problem with the Tiberon...

is that the roof is so low. I'm only 5'8" tall, and my head touches the roof. It's not a bad car though and is $3000 cheaper than a Celica. (about $20000 window price with every option including a 6 speed and sunroof).

Personally, I prefer the Elantra GT.. kind of like a 156 2 liter but it's only $14000...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Stu, I apologize but I was poking fun. I posted the Tiburon picture because the model is a GT V6, ala Alfa GTV6. The new Tiburons look MUCH better than the first generation model!

This is also a place where the debates could continue.

AC, those Celicas still look great. Unfortunately they are not sports cars, or even GT's. More like sporty looking coupes. I don't recall too many details on the mechanicals of my Celica ST, but I'm pretty sure it only had one carb. That was (yipes!) 21 years ago.

One of my favorite memories in the Celica was running over about a 1/4 mile of those delineator posts (as pictured below). Seeing them disappear underneath my front end, hearing them thumping under the car and then seeing them strewn all over the road in my rear view mirror. Another funny moment occurred while my friend and I were driving down a side street. I pulled the steering wheel off, handed it to my friend and said, "Here you take the wheel." We busted up laughing until we realized that the car was heading towards the parked cars. I got the wheel back on just in time. Since I had stripped the steering shaft when I replaced the stock steering wheel, I could pull this wheel off at will.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
The Tiburon GT V6 is really a neat little car. I was seriously considering buying one, but decided on the SVT Focus instead. The Tiburon couldn't touch the Focus on any handling or braking numbers, plus it was a bit more expensive. I drove it though, and it was very nice - could use a bit more power though. The car is relatively heavy for what it is (3,200 lbs). Believe it or not, it sounded great! Almost Alfa V6-ish!! The leather sport seats were great too. I still think about that car every now and then, but I think I made the right choice with my SVT. :)

Shannon

02 Focus SVT
91 164L w/S engine FOR SALE!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,139 Posts
Two different kinds of cars...

The Tiberon V-6 is really more like a Mustang V-6. It has around 170 horsepower, but weighs some 700 pounds more than the Focus.

The Focus SVT is quite a bit smaller and lighter, and more comparable to a Mini Cooper S.

I have driven the Mini S and the Focus, and I actually like the Focus better! The Minis also still have a phoney markup sticker on them, making them around $5000 more than the Focus.

Of course if the Alfa 147 GTA wee availble, I would probibly pick it over both, for a couple of thousand more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,631 Posts
My everyday driver is a Santa Fe, if you see it I'm sure you'll recognize the plate with some thought, my oldest daughter's is an Elantra GT, and my youngest daughter, still several years from driving, wants a Tib.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME
on anything, just PATSYF)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
67GTV said:
Another funny moment occurred while my friend and I were driving down a side street. I pulled the steering wheel off, handed it to my friend and said, "Here you take the wheel." We busted up laughing until we realized that the car was heading towards the parked cars. I got the wheel back on just in time. Since I had stripped the steering shaft when I replaced the stock steering wheel, I could pull this wheel off at will.
thats the funniest thing Ive heard on this board in a long time! kind of like an old WC fields film or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alfadan said:
thats the funniest thing Ive heard on this board in a long time! kind of like an old WC fields film or something.
Thanks for bringing back fond memories of that POS! The dumbest part of that scenario is that I could have applied the brakes to stop the car from merging into the parked cars.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,139 Posts
67GTV said:
Tiburon GT V6

I would rather have a properly resored 1930s through 1960s Alfa than a Hyundai, but modern Alfas (Milano and after) don't do a thing for me.

To me, the Hyundai is the perfect appliance on wheels, and the ones I've owned have been even more reliable than Toyotas I have owned.


The Tiberon doesn't do a thing for me. All I am saying is that a Hyundai Accent or Elantra is a LOT of car for well under $14,000 "out the door"....and yes, you CAN buy a new one for that..
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top