Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a recurring problem in my son's 1984 Spider.
For a few years he would drive it all summer with no problems. Then he would go away to college and leave it parked. When he came home to use it, the car would start, idle, but not make any power.
Fuel starvation. Mechanic would replace fuel pump, and it was fine. The pump seemed to die, or lose interest, when the car was parked.
This happened three years...three fuel pumps.
He has bought a new car and left the Alfa parked at his moms. It has been there 4 months.
I drove over to pick it up. It started, would idle...but not rev. Would just crap out and not make power.
Is there a ghost in the machine?

·
Administrator
17,802 Posts
Do you treat the fuel for storage? Gasoline does not store well - especially today's oxygenated/alcohol poisoned gas. Do you then leave the tank full of treated-for-storage gas? A half-full tank will allow condensation of water vapors which then leads to rust inside the tank. The rust debris ruins the fuel pumps. And BTW, there are two pumps. If the in-tank pump (which is located in the tank...) has failed the main pump (under the car) has to work extra hard which can shorten its life. And the in-tank pump is most susceptible to ruin by rust debris as it is only protected by a screen on its pick up tube.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the car had sat for a long time before you got it, the steel line between the tank and the high pressure pump might be getting ugly inside. It'll slough off gunk and ruin the pump. A filter just before the new pump might be the way to go, or else replace that solid line. Had this problem with an '88 Quad that sat for a long time. The tank was cleaned to within an inch of its life, but I hadn't changed or cleaned that steel line. Sure wish I had.
T

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Are the pumps your mechanic is using from China?

Some of the big parts suppliers have confirmed that this source of their pumps were not good performers.

Elio

1 - 4 of 4 Posts