Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new engine has been installed in my S and everything is running smoothly, well almost. This problem usually happens when I'm in first gear and hit 4000 rpm. It feels like I'm hitting the rev limiter and the engine cuts out, and is very intermittent in other gears besides first. It happens sometimes in second gear, but not as frequently as in first. I checked the intake hose today and there were no cracks in it. Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Are you sure your not hitting rev limiter and tach is off. Have you tried running up slowly in first gear to 4k RPM and observing speedometer and recording speedometer reading when it cuts off and same in second?

Report your speed in first and second when it cuts out.

Is this a new used engine or a new rebuilt engine if rebuilt go easy on it and break it in correctly.

If used engine does it have new timing belt and safe to wring it out?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
If not what steve said, it almost sounds like a fuel delivery issue. What components did you replace in the EFI system?

·
Premium Member
9,814 Posts
So the new engine has been installed in my S and everything is running smoothly, well almost. This problem usually happens when I'm in first gear and hit 4000 rpm. It feels like I'm hitting the rev limiter and the engine cuts out, and is very intermittent in other gears besides first. It happens sometimes in second gear, but not as frequently as in first. I checked the intake hose today and there were no cracks in it. Any ideas as to how I can solve this?

Thanks for any help,
Mike
I had similar issues years ago. around 4K engine cuts out and then is fine, very intermittent. Some days it may be fine others it would do it. I found it to be the cap and rotor. Replaced it and it was perfect. May want to at least have a look at it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies!

The tach is in sync and works fine. Also I didn't change any of the fuel delivery components during the swap, but I have plenty of other parts to mess around with if neccesary. I might try a new cap as the one on there is in OK condition. Also forgot to mention that the car "sputs" and wants to stall out when second gear in lower rpms. It never used to do this before. Happened to me tonight as I was turning onto my street, but the engine totally shut off. The car still starts, but as soon as I hit the gas pedal, the engine stalls. But its pretty late now and I'm lucky that the car made it home. I will take a look at it in the morning.

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
Check Bosch connector to AFM for broken female wire terminal ends or unlocked terminals so wires not making good contact with pins in AFM.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We had a similar problem with a 164L. It turned out to be loose grounds on passenger side of intake and that the intake was loose from rear valve cover.

·
Premium Member
27,334 Posts
We had a similar problem with a 164L. It turned out to be loose grounds on passenger side of intake and that the intake was loose from rear valve cover.

Good point and if intake is not mounted directly to valve cover but on rubber mounts as later models are you have to have a grounding strap from intake to valve cover attaching bolt or directly to head.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What kind of sparkplugs are you running? one time I ran the NGKs and my engine would cut off and bounce on 3k change plugs to bosch platnum and problem solved.:)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I had same problem with ground strap, I also ran an additional wire to the strut top for good measure. No more splutters since.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got home from vacation a couple hours ago and I just want to say once again, thanks for the input. New rotor and cap and new spark plugs on the way. I will check everything else that has been mentioned. Thanks alot!! I'll post some updates here if someone new happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts