Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s evidence of numerous past collisions between the boot lid and the transom, but I think the rubber strip has been replaced since then, since there seems to be no contact now.

With the lid closed, alignment at the edges looks good.

But it looks like there’s too much clearance between the bootlid and transom in the area above the license place.

I’m planning on a respray and want to sort out this weird panel fit first. Any insights on what’s going on here?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm interested to hear the opinions on this. My car has the same two spots. The trunk lid (boot if your on the other side of the pond) does not come in contact with that area at all. I cannot press hard enough to have it make contact. I assumed with mine it was bad paint that had cracked and come apart so I am curious to see what others opine.
Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Interesting situation... so I have a '73 and did a little fact finding. First, I measured the bow of the lid by centering a steel yardstick on the edge of the lid and I came up with like 1/2" bow at the center of the lid between the stick and the lip of the lid. Then there is like a 1-2 mm shim UNDER the lid catch
001.JPG
002.JPG
002.JPG
. I have no reason to believe it was added at sometime in the life of the car. I did not monkey around and explore the positioning of the latch on the body and feel quite sure there is probably some adjustment with that. Gievn these three parameters, there probably is some way to fiddle this to make it right with latch adjustments if the bow in your lid is correct and I feel like that is probably the case. Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
there probably is some way to fiddle this to make it right with latch adjustments if the bow in your lid is correct and I feel like that is probably the case.
I respectfully disagree with divotandtralee. While he's probably right that shims could be removed to make the trunk lid latch at a lower point, I would think that would mess up the gaps at the sides. From Canadian Spider's photos, the trunk lid seems to sit pretty flush with the rear fenders at its rear/sides when latched at its current point. So by moving the latch, you'd be trading off a poor gap at the rear for poor fits at the sides.

I agree with 930cabman: the trunk lid just seems to have too much arch. Assuming the car hasn't been in an accident, perhaps that is just within the factory's manufacturing tolerance. Regardless of whether the additional arch is the result of an accident or poor manufacturing, a skilled bodyman can probably make it right.

·
Administrator
12,563 Posts
Thanks all.

“Too much arch” sounds like a likely explanation. Wonder how it happened...
Seems likely to me that the boot was very full and a previous owner forced it to latch, bending the lid
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
There is a rubber bump stop on the body above each hinge. If they are missing it might allow the hinge to close higher allowing the leading edge to hit the metal work. That's the extent of my physics knowledge. Worth a check.
Cheers, Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts