Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, the oil filler cap dented the hood from the inside, it was a very bad pothole, but? I just replaced the front motor mounts thinking they were probably bad, but the old ones seem OK. Haven't checked the tranny mount, but no other signs it is bad. Looking for ideas and answers before I fix the dent and get the hood repainted.
And, glad to be back after many years off sailing. The car is running and driving great, can't wait for spring and summer to drive it more in San Juan Islands and NW WA.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Just a matter of physics. The weight of the portion of the car going down into the pothole and the transferred oppositely to the bottom of the engine is greater than the spring force in the rubber motor mounts. Same thing has happened to me on our great Dallas streets.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
This happened to me a few years ago.

I removed the dent with paintless dent removal.

Do you think your dent can be removed with paintless dent removal as well?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,022 Posts
It doesn't matter how good or bad your mounts are. You hit the oil pan hard enough it will push the engine in to the hood.

I've seen some hit so hard in the past that the hood gets a bow.

Also hard hits like that can break the metal bracket of the exhaust mount.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Norseman 50: bad or ripped off engine mounts. I had the same mishap and the mounts looked allright but were ripped off. Is the radiator fan still in the centre of the shroud?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts