Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
I have just rebuilt my 2,0 turbo :) It is a 2,0 with all acc from 1,8 turbo. Tried to start it today, but still got some spagetti in the electrical system to sort out :( Will try again tomorrow (its 04.57 in the morning here in norway now) Can take some pictures and try to answer questions if interested..

Discussion starter · #24 ·
uh, I cant find a technical reason that it can't be done. The biggest headache is the fuel injection, and the cams but nothing that is prohibitive from forced induction. Compression is a tad high, reducing the amount of boost that can be used before detonation becomes a problem if the pistons remain unaltered. Timing adjustments are simple enough. The forged components can handle a lot more power than this motor puts out in a stock configuration. Springs could be a little stiffer to avoid float at high RPM's. The trans seems to be a pretty well bit piece with crappy synchros.

It seems to me the easiest thing to deal with is the fuel injection. The only problem there is selecting which of the many methods you want to go with. There are so many aftermarket fuel injection systems out there it's incredible. If you don't want to go that route, the old L-Jetronic system can be made satisfactory with forced induction.

Greg

There are no problems at all using the original wiring and ECU's. The harness for the engine is almost a complete "stand alone" system. All you need to do is connect 6 wires to the ignition. Other than that its "bolt on". Been doing research on this on and of for two years now, so i know the most of it pretty good.

A fellow club member had his spider (83 or 84) turbo'd about 5 years ago. Even though he had an extremely limited budget it came out really nice. The turbo came out of a junked Saab 9000. The stock exhaust manifold was turned upside down and a plate to mount the turbo was welded on. A heat shield was fabricated to protect the brake booster. The stock FI was used, but moved to the exhaust side of the motor. Boost was limited to approx. 5 lbs. as the motor was kept completely stock. I know he was pleased with the extra power and it certainly makes his spider unique.

Randy S.

There are no problems at all using the original wiring and ECU's. The harness for the engine is almost a complete "stand alone" system. All you need to do is connect 6 wires to the ignition. Other than that its "bolt on". Been doing research on this on and of for two years now, so i know the most of it pretty good.
Can you elaborate any on this any?:D

Can you elaborate any on this any?:D
There was no problem using the original 1,8 turbo harness. Used the harness from a 1,8 75 turbo in my GTV, and there was no problems getting it to work..

There was no problem using the original 1,8 turbo harness. Used the harness from a 1,8 75 turbo in my GTV, and there was no problems getting it to work..
how can one get ahold of these? do they just come up once in a while from previous owners?

Thanks!

I have one harness extra, bought 2 set with ECU´s. Only thing missing is one of the ecu´s. (These has 1 ignition and 1 injection ecu) Not very easy to find, but there are some of these cars here in europe, so if interested i can help.

Here is a video from the first test.. Yesterday i adjusted the camshafts so now it runs ok. In the video both cams are out of position.

Reactions: earlyspringjk
Here is a new video with the engine running as it should. Now i have prepared the car for paint, and we are going to paint it on saturday. New videos every day :) Hopefully the car will be ready next weekend..

Reactions: earlyspringjk
Well, seeing is believing! (And I also see that you've improved on your movie producing skills. :D) It does sound great. Nice job!

Best regards,

Well, seeing is believing! (And I also see that you've improved on your movie producing skills. :D) It does sound great. Nice job!

Best regards,
Nja... Not very familiar with "Windows Virus" yet.. I use Mac to make movies, but had some problems with it and had to use the laptop to make the videos.. But, still learning at 32 :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.