Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like to write tales and quips and generally BS. One of the reasons I enjoy Alfa ownership is the comradery that goes along with this shared love of "our" marque.

The pics are something that came today. Pretty big box on top of the DD here in Italy. Tell you what, it took a good 15 minutes to get that **** thing open it was packed so well. What was in it? Who'd it come from?

For a very long time - maybe 4 years now - I've been chasing a wing off an S for Rossa. These are very difficult - so far impossible to find here. John AKA Spitfire took note of this and over the past months has made this happen.

I want to publicly pass on a sincere thanx for your efforts. For those still with me, John sourced one, drove who knows how far to the Alfa junkyard for it, bought it, boxed it up and mailed it to me. He doesn't want anything in return.

The wing is at the body shop where I had Rossa made over this past fall. Michele is sorting the issues with it and painting it red to match the car. He'll install it when he's finished

It always "tickles" me that some parts on my car had to come from the US as I cant find them here and some bits on various members cars back there came from here. I personally enjoy this aspect of 164/Alfa ownership.

John, a sincere heartfelt thank you. ciao jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
That's really great. Very nice gift from John.

If you need the proper dimensions for locating the bolt holes on the lid, let me know and I can give them to you, as I have a spare S lid in the garage (courtesy of Richard2) I can measure from as I did for the spoiler I mounted on the LS.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
No problem Chris!

What he doesn't mention is that he has also sent several things to me, asking for nothing as well. This was a nice opportunity to return the favor.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Alfisti friends are the best!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is Italy remember.....we dont use brakes!!! ciao jc

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Naw, he doesn't want one of those. Easier to put in one of the rear window lights if he wants something. And, a lot easier to fiddle with if a light bulb or two needs to be changed. Fewer holes to drill in the boot lid, etc.

Although I do have a spare one if he really is hot to have one of those lid lights.

It's been shown that they don't do anything for safety anyway. Some bureaucrat sitting behind a desk dreamed that one up. If only one or two cars has them, maybe ok since it is different, but when every car has one, no effect. People don't see them anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mr Del knows me too well. I dont care for/want the 3d brake light - either type. But really then what do I know - I had black wheels!! I did see a 164 that/where the owner had modified the center red plastic strip to incorporate some LED lights that came on in conjunction with the regular brake lights. It was pretty cool actually. BTW thanx for the measurements offer. Mike has some sort of template he'll use so I'm "good" for right now.

I'll not weigh in on the do they work argument 'cept to say I tend no notice them more when one of the outer lights are burned out so for me they prolly do catch my eye. But then I do tend to drive thru the car in front(s) windshield in traffic where brake lights are in play. ciao chris

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I think the QV rear spoiler and third brake light are part of the QV model, they really give it that rear end look, but maybe I am just too used it

The reason they moved the third brake light on the QV model from the rear window to the boot top was because the QV spoiler blocked the third brake light in the window

No, the third brake light really makes a difference and is defiantly a safety feature, the original idea of having a third brake light introduced on vehicles was to ensure there was a light at eye level to the vehicle behind, I don't think that people notice them as to whether how many vehicles have them on the road, it is a safety feature of eye level

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
"No, the third brake light really makes a difference and is defiantly a safety feature, the original idea of having a third brake light introduced on vehicles was to ensure there was a light at eye level to the vehicle behind, I don't think that people notice them as to whether how many vehicles have them on the road, it is a safety feature of eye level"

Well, that's what everybody thought, and maybe the idea did work at first, but later tests, as related in my science mags, showed that once all the cars had them, few noticed, and the rear end crash rate didn't drop. That's why most of the manufacturers are going to automatic warning/braking for that situation.

But whatever. If they work for you, that's great.

As an aside, my wife tends to brake when she sees brake lights ahead, I tend to judge when to brake by visually estimating the distance and change in speed of the vehicle ahead. So, she often brakes when the driver ahead isn't really slowing, but is just resting his/her foot on the brake pedal of their automatic equipped car (that's how they teach people to drive cars with automatics I guess, using the left foot on the brake, as compared to stick shift cars, where one uses the right foot for the brake, left on the clutch). Left foot on the brake is not my bag, even in an automatic equipped rental.

I tend to watch, and wait a little to see what is really going to happen first, but getting set.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks!

I'd like to thank Chris now, for continuing the cross Atlantic Alfa parts exchange! I received a fine looking MOMO steering wheel today, a set of proper length wheel bolts so I can safely mount a spare, and in Chris fashion...a whole box of sweets and goodies for the family. I promise I'll share with everybody >:)!

I sincerely appreciate your generosity. Thanks again from me, Sabrina, and the girls.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What would really be worth doing in this age of abs brakes is a cadence flash (NOT strobe speed) to show how hard the brakes have been applied. Normal application would show no flashing but full abs would show dramatic flashing, maybe of the hazard warning lights concurrently. In between these extremes the flash rate would be proportional to deceleration force. This should be easy software to write using brake line pressure and wheel sensor data. With LEDs one need not worry about filament wear.

There have been several studies showing the novelty effect of CHMSL wearing off. The same studies need to be done for DRL and I am convinced the same disappearance of useful effect would be demonstrated. With current technology available auto on/off headlights should be made standard instead of DRL.

This is off topic I realize. The main thread is an uplifting story. Alfisti here are the same enthusiastic and friendly bunch ready to help each other keep these cars running.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one of the habit's I've picked up on is to apply my flashers when coming into a situation where folk behind me need to exercise undue caution as well. Usually a traffic slowdown or accident. This is pretty widely accepted here in Europe, especially on the hiways where jams are common.

All would be a moot point if all of us exercised due diligence and maintained some semblance of ACD and such but alas, not the times in which we live. You and yours are very welcome John. ciao jc

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Alfa Males are great friends and their wives, too.

My grandson and I just got back from bonding during our 6 day spring break trip to FL. We visited many of my old FL Alfisti friends and meet a few new ones.

I rebonded with Robert and Gudrun in St Augustine, Bart and Jane in Palatka, Ric and Rose in Daytona Beach and then at Neville and Lizette's home, Dick (R2) and Sharon drove up. Paulo and his wife came too. Then ex-Alfisti friend John from JAX reappeared along with Bernie Bennett and friend from TX and Bob A and wife from WI came down from Amelia Island event so those last three folks were new made friends.

You can't ever have to many friends or spare parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts