Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to locate the color code on my Falvia Coupe. Initially, we thought it is in the glove box (or somewhere there) but it does not seem so. Any idea where they put a little plate or sticker, if at all?

If not there, does anybody know color codes (And manufacturers in order to recreate today) of Lancias in the 60's? Looking for silver in particular (Car is a 65 model).

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
In addition

A guy nicknamed "steposs" from italy is allways buying colour chip booklets on ebay (kicking everybody aside .. like me). May be he could help.

In Germany: Peter Bazille and his friend Jochen Fricke run B&F Touring Garage, which is well known among Lancisti for maintenance as well as complete restorations. (The Lancia Club Deutschland announced him advisor for Aurelia and Flaminia).
Troisdorf-Spich is situated 25 km south-east of Köln
He may help either.
B&F Touring-Garage T 0049 (0)224146377 / fax: 02241-400448
Telefon: 02241 - 46377 Haupstraße 183 53842 Troisdorf-Spich

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Mike,

I'm trying to research this for Adan; I'm the one who had him ask you to look in the glove box, as that's where Lancia usually had a little sticker or plate with the color name. If it's not there, it might be on a Pininfarina plate somewhere (trunk?, under hood?). I recall seeing a Pininfarina plate under the hood, next to the chassis plate, but I don't think it had any color info on it.

The problem is that the Flavia Coupe was built by Pininfarina--not the factory. Even if you had the factory color codes, these wouldn't cover either the Coupe or the Sport, which was built by Zagato.

The best info I've found so far is from Bert Ewalds of the Flaminia Flavia, Fulvia Register of the Dutch Lancia Club. They have not been able to find the color schedule for the Flavia Coupe, but they believe it's very likely that Pininfarina used same colors for the Flavia Coupe as they used for the Ferrari 330 GT, which they built at the same time. Bert sent me a partial list of the Ferrari colors/codes, which I'll forward you separately by e-mail.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a colour chart from about 1966 and it lists the following for the Flavia Coupe. It has no codes but does have a sample colour key and where else the colour was used (so you could check the code against the same description on other models):

Black (shared with all Lancia models)
Tor di Valle (sort of dark grey - shared with the Fulvia range)
York (silver - only available on the Flavia PF coupe)
Chester (a rich red - only available on the Flavia PF coupe)
Saratoga (white - available on all Lancia models)
Lancia Blue (available on all Lancia models)
Mendoza (slightly lighter than Lancia Blue - only available on Flavia PF coupe)

There were no metallic colours available on the Flavia PF coupe.
The chart is the official colour chart from the UK Lancia Concessionaires at Alperton. There is no date but it lists "available cars" which are (to help you date it):
Flaminia Coupe
Flavia Zagato
Flavia Convrt
Flavia Coupe
Flavia Sedan
Fulvia Coupe
Fulvia 2C Sedan

·
Registered
218 Posts
From my Fulvia information the codes are:

Black 1.348.9036 (Max Mayer)
Tor di Valle 1.346.8138 (Max Mayer)
York ????
Chester ????
Saratoga 1.346.1435 (Max Mayer)
Lancia Blue 1.346.7069 (Max Mayer)
Mendoza 1.346.7189 (Max Mayer)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is helpful. I guess my car (Or Adan's car now/ soon) was painted in York. Also explains the flat silver appearance where the original color still is - not a shiny/ bright metallic finish but a very elegant hue.

If anybody has the color code for this, it would be highly appreciated. Otherwise we have to match in one of the inside parts with good orignial color on it.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
From my Fulvia information the codes are:

Black 1.348.9036 (Max Mayer)
Tor di Valle 1.346.8138 (Max Mayer)
York ????
Chester ????
Saratoga 1.346.1435 (Max Mayer)
Lancia Blue 1.346.7069 (Max Mayer)
Mendoza 1.346.7189 (Max Mayer)
Neil,

Thanks. That's incredibly useful information. It's a lot more Flavia color information that I've been able to dig up anywhere. Mike and I are both trying to help his car's new owner figure out the color. (And that new owner is the previous owner of my Fanalone, just in case you didn't know how 'incestuous' the Lancia world is around here.)

But are you sure that York is silver? My colour swatch book has only two different 'York' colors: "grigio York"--a non-metallic medium-light gray (listed as 1968), and "rosso York"--a very dark red (listed as 1970). There is no 'York' that could be called silver, but my swatches only go back to 1966.

In any event, Mike's car is definitely a fine metallic gray/silver, and it is certainly the car's original color. I've seen the car and it certainly doesn't match the "grigio York" in my swatch book.

Anyway, translated into Glasurit codes, the colors in your chart are:
Black ??
Tor di Valle ??
York (Glasurit LAN 196, if it's "grigio York")
Chester (Glasurit LAN 190)
Saratoga (Glasurit LAN 170)
Lancia Blue (Glasurit LAN 174)
Mendoza ??

Cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, I suppose York could be described as a grey. To me it looks more of a flat silver, sort of a non-metallic version of Grigio Escoli, but it is only a small key and in the fresh morning light it looks more more grey than silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Neil

It's a bit tough to tell, but the "York" on your chart does look like "grigio York," which means that Mike's color isn't on the chart. And, of course, there's every reason to believe that his color is original. Typical Lancia dilemma...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree with you Ed, the best gauge is what you see with your own eyes ! Colours may not have been the same in different markets, for a coach built car there may have been some ability to specify an "individual" colour, and different years may have has different availability. My view is go with what you see in an area in which the colour could not have been mucked around with.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is from the italian forum of www.vivalancia.com (Boxer 1-Flavia e Superjolly section).
http://www.viva-lancia.com/lancia_fora/read.php?f=84&i=1313&t=1312
Flavia coupe Pininfarina was availiable at these colours:

Corpo vettura-formula selleria

Blu Lancia (cod.1332)-pelle naturale
Verde Giada - pelle marrone
Grigio Tor di Vale (cod.1336)-pelle rossa
Grigio York (33form.)-pelle rossa
Bianco saratoga (cod.1329)-pelle amaranto
Grigio Doncaster (cod.1337)-pelle amaranto
Blu Mendosa (cod.1366)-pelle amaranto
Rosso Chester (8046form) -pelle nera

For more infos on the availiability of these colours you can call the "servizio telefonico formulazioni system LECHLER" phone numb.031/586.333

And this one refers to the "vetture di serie" (ie. berlina)
http://www.flaviaberlina.supereva.it/coloriesterni2nd.pdf

·
Registered
454 Posts
Interesting; it's mostly the same list as Neil's (with the addition of Verde Giada and Grigio Doncaster). But still no metallics.

Hi Ed.
It is higly possible that when they introduced the 1800 iniezione version, back in 65,they offered one or two more colours.Such as the Grigio Agnano metallizzato.I have seen a few coupes on that colour,which is probably original,although i've seen them live and not on period ads or depliants.
Anyway the official answer of Lancia, is the one i 've posted above.
Who knows?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
As with so many questions about Lancia production specifications, I suspect we'll never really find the answer--such fastidious engineering, such casual record-keeping.

And for the record in this case, the car in question is an 1800 single-carb, not injection.

·
Registered
830 Posts
thanks mike

This is helpful. I guess my car (Or Adan's car now/ soon) was painted in York. Also explains the flat silver appearance where the original color still is - not a shiny/ bright metallic finish but a very elegant hue.

If anybody has the color code for this, it would be highly appreciated. Otherwise we have to match in one of the inside parts with good orignial color on it.

Thanks,

Mike
thanks mike I will give this flavia a good home and the best paint job I can. adan

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for modern paint codes for the original Flavia PF Coupe colors. I was able to go from the Glasurit #s to a formula in 2 lines (22,55) thanks to help from Adan, but, alas, several of the items in the formula are no longer available.

Is the best way to go forward to just use the scan of the paint chips and try to match it? or does anybody know a modern, US-available equivalent for the ROSSO CHESTER?

Thanks!
Guido

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for modern paint codes for the original Flavia PF Coupe colors. I was able to go from the Glasurit #s to a formula in 2 lines (22,55) thanks to help from Adan, but, alas, several of the items in the formula are no longer available.

Is the best way to go forward to just use the scan of the paint chips and try to match it? or does anybody know a modern, US-available equivalent for the ROSSO CHESTER?

Thanks!
Guido
i know what you mean I had to scan my color, I did 7 test panels before coming with the color that it was one time. good luck

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I don't think there's much of an alternative to scanning it and shooting tests, as Adan did with his. As you've discovered, the recent change in paint formulations means that it's no longer enough to find the original formula--you then have to obtain all the original materials. Best of luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts