Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
well, after getting my high flow cat installed at Lous custom exhaust in waltham yesterday (and still failing emissions on the gtv6 - I'm running lean - too much HC) I decided to put the alfas in hibernation till the spring.

it was freakin' cold this morning....

oh well, have a long list of projects to get done over the winter....

does anyone get together during the winter to work on projects? anyone want to help me? :)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I've used a dye that shows up when shone with a black light with great results. I was able to pinpoint exactly where the oil leak was. I think NAPA auto parts carries the dye. The light bulb i picked up at Home Depot (I think). Good luck.
I tried the dye process, but had no luck finding the leak... does it "fluoresce" brightly under a black light (thought I saw a faint green color), or does it have to be under certain conditions? Maybe I didn't run the engine long enough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My '91 164 is my daily driver and not just this snowless year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tried the dye process, but had no luck finding the leak... does it "fluoresce" brightly under a black light (thought I saw a faint green color), or does it have to be under certain conditions? Maybe I didn't run the engine long enough?

Thanks.
Since my leak was underneath at the oil pan, I had my hood shut above as I was underneath to have a lower ambient lighting. That alone allowed the green color (almost the color and brightness of regular anti-freeze coolant under the black light) to stand out. I was also in a garage with normal incandescent lighting if that means anything. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
It's 25F degrees and I just got my clutch slave fixed in time for a drive around the block before the temp drops into the single digits.:)

Bill

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
I drive her year round, she's in the garage on the really bad days (snow, ice, sleet,) usually a week or 2.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts