Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood latches could do with a make over. has anyone redone their's? Ie do you polish them? repaint them etc?

Any tips.. :confused:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
hood latches

hood = roof?

I don't recall what mine look like. They are always there but I am not near my car so I can't go look.

It's easy though, if they are painted strip them and repaint. Otherwise then they were plated or anodized and will require being sent off for redoing of the coating.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry.. UK talk, hood meaning roof!;) I can not make out if they are indeed anoxized or painted? I am having the leather straps redone as one is in poor condition and the other fell off!

hood = roof?

I don't recall what mine look like. They are always there but I am not near my car so I can't go look.

It's easy though, if they are painted strip them and repaint. Otherwise then they were plated or anodized and will require being sent off for redoing of the coating.

Good Luck,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Aluminum w/no coating that I'm aware of. At least not chrome or anything like that for sure.

Polish (factory finish is matte, not shiny, at least in the 1980's US spec anyway) then if you feel compelled, hit them with a thin coat of clearcoat in matte, satin, glossy (whatever floats your boat) if you want that appearance to remain w/o having to buff it up periodically.

Matte w/satin would likely be the closest to how they came.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers, I will give it a go with the satin paint and report back...:D

Aluminum w/no coating that I'm aware of. At least not chrome or anything like that for sure.

Polish (factory finish is matte, not shiny, at least in the 1980's US spec anyway) then if you feel compelled, hit them with a thin coat of clearcoat in matte, satin, glossy (whatever floats your boat) if you want that appearance to remain w/o having to buff it up periodically.

Matte w/satin would likely be the closest to how they came.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine came up OK with Autosol chrome polish. Depends how much "patina" they have on and how close to factory fresh you want. Not sure I would bother with any clear coat, did mine a year or so ago and not realy deteriorated since then - just stayed a satin / matte finish.
What are you doing for the leather straps? someone making new ones for you?
Are they leather ? mine seemed to be more like a double layer of vinyl heat welded together .
David

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi david..

Thanks for the tip... I will try some autosol and see how I get on. Regarding the leather straps, yes i've asked a local trimmer to copy the originals for me as they were torn. They are definately made from a thick leather with a shiny patent finish?

Its not a big cost to get them looking nice again!

Mine came up OK with Autosol chrome polish. Depends how much "patina" they have on and how close to factory fresh you want. Not sure I would bother with any clear coat, did mine a year or so ago and not realy deteriorated since then - just stayed a satin / matte finish.
What are you doing for the leather straps? someone making new ones for you?
Are they leather ? mine seemed to be more like a double layer of vinyl heat welded together .
David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts