Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in the middle of replacing the head on my '86 Spider Veloce. I was torquing my cams down, the wrench was showing roughly 14ft.lb when one of the nuts started spinning freely. :mad:

What can I do to get this nut/stud out?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Gee, do I know anybody that has done this?

Usually it's the thread in the aluminum head that gives way. Pull the cam off - if you remove the chain and the other caps, then rotate the cam so that the nearby lobe is pushing down a valve, you get enough "up" force to remove the stud.

Then helicoil to repair. Can be done in the car, but the risk of stray metal in the oil is high - it's aluminum so a magnet won't catch it. Use Locktite red to install the helicoil and stud.

I've also pulled the cam cover studs out of the top of the caps. At least you get to work on the bench for these. Check for roundness of the cam journal hole when you do this.

Robert

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Good:
I was able to get the cam out without any apparent damage to the cam or the upper half of the cam journal.

The Bad:
The studs bent slightly but showed no signs of budging. It mushed the very end of the cam journal in the head.

I talked to my local cylinder head shop and they said they would be able to clean the head, skim it, replace the studs and fix the nicked journal for roughly $100.

I'll pull the head when I get off work tonight and drop it by the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The same thing happened on my engine! Does anyone know the thread pitch on the cam cap studs where the stud screws into the head? They look like 8mm diameter. I need to buy a helicoil kit to repair the stripped hole, is it 8x1.25?

Thanks
Bill

·
Premium Member
22,349 Posts
I've fixed these a number of times in my garage for the price of the drillbit and helicoil kit. Remove the cam, pack rags around to keep any stray chips out of the oil, etc., put some grease on the drill bit to capture chips, and clean it up real well before you reassemble. It's nervewracking to think about, but not that big a deal to actually do if you have a good drill, steady hand, ability to drill and tap straight, etc.
Andrew

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was afraid I might have bent my intake cam when using it to get that stuck nut off. I slapped in a spare intake cam and sent the whole head to the machine shop.

I just realized I sent it off with a centrifugal VVT cam when my car originally came with the solenoid style.

Can I run with the centrifugal style if I blockoff where the solenoid goes into the cam cover?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts