Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Who would pay $24k for a 1969 spider???

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  peglegtom 
#1 ·
Ok...I did. I bought the white spider that yes is not a concourse example of the original car. It has all the problems mentioned...2.0L engine, carpet, roll bar, steering wheel, side markers missing...and so on.

The car has a very noce body, with no rust what so ever, and has had virtually all the mechanicals gone through, but it is still not perfect.

I have owned four Alfa's in my past, but have not owned one for the last 25 years. I have had all spiders '61, '74, and two other '69's. I love the cars, and love to do a moderate amount of work on them my self. My work is still very demanding so in the interest of time and family, I do have some things done by others.

I hope to be welcome to the group, even though this is not a good example of a collectible 1969 spider, but rather an enthusiasts car.

From Prior posts to the alfabb, I had a few questions I would appreciate any help with.

-How can I get a copy of the manuals Osso has for the vehicle. I saw he had some for sale, but I am unfamiliar with the private messaging on this forum currently?

-The car is missing a few things that I would liek to replace as soon as possible. The rear view mirror is ther and in good shape, but the map/courtesy light is missing. I think this mirror was used in many years of spiders and some Fiats, but I am finding it difficult to find spares.

-The car has good heater hose ducting, but it is a mixture of the corrugated paper and one aluminum corrigation section....any leads on where I can get some of either to get it all the same?

- I am located in the SF Bay Area, near Stanford, are there any leads on Alfa Mechanics in the area. The shop I use to use on San Antonio Rd. in Mt View is no longer there.

Thank you all for you help and knowledge in advance. If there are any Bay Area members that ever need help with a project I would be happy to help and get myself back to current on the vehicles.

David

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the BB, David!

For manuals, contact BB member "papajam". He is the librarian for the Alfa Romeo Owners Club (separate organization from this BB) and there are a lot of official publications in that library. Also, I think Cardisc may carry them as well.

To send a Private Message, click on "User CP" at the top of the page, and then follow the left hand column, and you will find the "Private Messages" / "Send New Message". (Alternatively, you can just click on the user-id of the member on any of his/her posts.)

BTW, congratulations on the car purchase! I don't think you overpaid at all. I have a very good friend whose roundtail Spider's documented score this past year was 99.6 points. He would never let his example go for anywhere near some of the prices mentioned on the BB, and such cars usually change hands privately, anyway.

Best regards,

#3 ·
Hi David,

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the BB.

You can find a lot of info out on the board by doing a serach. That is always a good place to start.

There is a thread that discusses suppliers, but a good place to start is with Centerline and International Autoparts. (Google will give you their websites).

Suggest you might also want to join the local club, the ARA. Alfa Romeo Association, Northern California.

I am just up the road from you, if you need more help feel free to PM.

Cheers,

Marc

#6 ·
#7 ·
Sounds like you have a solid foundation to go a lot of different ways. Without seeing the car (oh, yea - post pictures please!!) I would guess that if you started with a basket case and restored it to this point you would have a lot more than $24k into it. So in that respect you did well. If your goal is concours you likely could get there with time and money. But it sounds like you wanted a great driver. I mean what else can you buy for $24k that would be as much fun? I nicely outfitted Chrysler Minivan??

I really like the cardisc CD (IAP and ebay sell them). Lots of hardcopy manuals on eBay and lots and lots of resources on this board. I am betting that you have carbs (2L transplants always seem to) but if you do have a SPICA system it is wise to gain a working knowledge of the fuel injection unit.

For my $.02, find your local mechanic but challenge yourself to fiddle with the car - they are made to be messed with and it's the best way to really get the most out of being an Alfisti!

Welcome and good luck (and don't forget the pictures!)

#8 ·
Thanks to all for the warm hearted welcome, and pointers to get myself going on working on the car.

lgbalfa asked how the car runs. It runs quite well, with solid mechanicals for the most part. The engine bay is pristine, however has a 2L rather than the 1750. The engine, trani, rear end and brakes are all in very good condition with 2300 miles since rebuilding. I have just had the car not turn over for the first time when the key is turned fully on. I believe it is either the starter ground or the solenoid. There is absolutly no audible click from the solenoid when it happens. The starter cranks vigerously when it engages, and ther is no dimming of the lights when this happens. I will start looking at the solenoid and ground first this weekend.

Other wise the electricals all work well, and the car is pretty clean. I have included the pictures from the previous owners posting, I hope they came through.

I am really happy to have an Alfa again, and love the style of this car. Good examples are hard to find, and I really wanted one.

Should any others be interested, I was looking at a second car that I never saw in person, but got lots of pictures of it. It is a 1969 Veloce, Guards red paint with some flaking and chips, owned by a Dr. and was very well maintained. It has had lots of money put in the engine and fuel injection recently and is claimed to have no rust. Owned by the current owner for 10+ years, asking $18.5K+

Attachments

#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
Although the car has had an engine transplant to a 2l it does have the Spica system. I would love to have the carburated system, but it is pretty pricy to convert, and the spica system is currently working well.

I appreciate the advise on tinkering with the car, and really love to do that. I actually owned 4 other alfa's earlier in my life, and did full restorations with the exception of paint and body work. (61 spider normale, 74 spider and two other 1969 spiders). It has been over 20 years however since I have owned an Alfa, and I have owned relatively newer vehicles since that required minimal tinkering.

Additionally my house was burgled some time back and all my tools were taken. I have replaced the necessities, but will now need many more!

First project is to try to tackle the intermittent starting problem.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Hi David

You have a gorgeous Spider. Congratulations on resuming your Alfa Romeo passion. Regarding your starting problem, search the BB for posts concerning the ignition switch. These have been know to be bad and your symptoms sound familiar to this long time Alfa owner.

... First project is to try to tackle the intermittent starting problem.

Thanks!

#11 ·
You need to join the ARA. Go to Alfa Romeo Association, Northern California.

I lived in Los Altos up until about 12 years ago - back when I lived there I took my Alfas to A1 Foreign Auto, John Kelemen, at 1544 W. El Camono Real, 650 966 8231. John still advertises in the ARA newsletter, so I presume he's alive and well.

Centerline carries that paper defroster hose. It's p/n RH455 in their catalog, priced at $21.6 for a length longer than you'll need. I used in my Sprint, and it works great. If you don't already have them, get Centerline's, as will as IAP's catalogs (they should be listed in the VENDOR section of the BB).

Your remarks about your mirror were confusing - are you saying that the light at the bottom of the interior mirror is missing? To my knowledge, these mirrors are no longer available - you just need to rebuild the one you have, perhaps using parts from a later car's mirror. Contact Alfa Parts Exchange (in Tracy?) at 209 833 8330 - I doubt they will have a perfect Duetto mirror, but may have one from a 70's or 80's spider.

#19 ·
I got luck with the intermittent starter. I worked on it last night and found it to be a stickey starter switch. The switch was not turning over to the momentary start position every time. It seemed like to tumblers were a little stuck. Some graphite in the lock solved the problem.

Even thought the car is very clean, I have found that I am ordering things it was missing like the top boot, some decals and badging and a few other odds and ends the car is missing.

Now I am just waiting for some nice weather.

Thanks to all for the tips, leads and advice. I hope to contribute to the list soon rather than just leach on all your knowledge. You all have been very, very helpful.

I do love this car and look forward to making it feel like mine through hard work on it.

Thanks, Dave

#20 ·
A Very Nice Looking Roundtail

Your car appears to be in very good condition. You now have a choice to make. Do you want to keep the 2L engine with the Spica to have a very nice daily driver (at least when the sun is shining), or do you want to restore it to original. It appears that all of the modifications are "bolt on - bolt off" so you could restore it to original if you want.

If you're not overly concerned with originality, I would keep the 2L with Spica, as nobody would really know the difference. Restore the other parts to original and drive it as much as you can. IMHO, cars (even "classics") are meant to be driven, and not become "garage queens!" After all, what fun is it to just look at an Alfa and not be willing to drive it.

You can restore it to whatever condition you want as long as you keep it driveable. Just resist the tempation to tear it apart for a proper rebuild. It's much easier to tear it apart then put it back together again. (just ask me how I know!).

Welcome to the board, and enjoy your roundtail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.