Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 13-Jun-2022: This thread was originally created on 31-Mar-2009. Much of the content in this post is no longer valid -- For legal reasons (liabilities) we're no longer a formal club, and, post-pandemic, we're meeting every 2nd Sunday afternoon between 1:00 and 4:00 PM at the Osteria (until they start renovations, then we'll have to find another place). Rather than editing and changing the content of this post, it seemed better to add to it and keep the original text as historical artifact.

Hello,

We're the Italian Car Club of BC, formerly known as Pacific Coast Alfa Romeo Owners Association (PCAROA) and BC Alfa Club. We meet every 2nd Tuesday of the month at:

Osteria Cafe/Pub at
The Italian Cultural Centre Society (get directions here)
3075 Slocan Street
Vancouver, BC
V5M 3E4

We are a very informal club without long-winded agendas or meeting minutes. Our meetings usually start at 7:00-7:30 PM and end some time between 9:30-11:00 PM when we run out of stuff to talk about or when we notice that we are the last guests in the house and feel the operators would like to go home. The Osteria is a fully liscensed serving beer, coffee, pizza and pop. Panini (sandwiches) and Pizza are available, made to order. Eating is optional and you can simply come for a beer or an espresso.

We encourage all owners of Italian cars to drop in at one of the meetings and figure out if they want to join our club. Club membership is only CAD 20/year and entitles members to receive discounts at stores and shops like Lordco Parts, Magnem Engine Services, North Shore Auto Parts (also here), UAP/NAPA, Overseas Auto and Coast Import Auto Supply recyclers.

There are several events and drives taking place throughout the year (see Google calendar showing events for the next 4 months in the "Agenda" tab).

Our Father's Day Car Meet and motorcycle display at the Waterfront Park in North Vancouver (see pictures in this thread) was started by Fritz Duernberger about 20 years ago with 4 cars attending and has grown into the prime event of our club. The event was at risk this year because insurance requirements changed but thanks to our new event co-sponsors Ferrari Club (Western Canada Region), Weissach Performance (especially their subsidiary Lamborghini of Vancouver) and Ferrari - Maserati of Vancouver this event will also take place this year. In the past, both of these dealers also have generously received us for hosting our annual Christmas wine-and-cheese event (which substitutes the December club meeting).

Simon generously made this forum available to us on AlfaBB so that we have a place to share and update information about club events.

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,156 Posts
Well done on getting space on the BB.
Thanks Simon :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Do you folks still do the "After Christmas Party"? I attended one, many many moons ago, at 'The Stinking Rose'(?). I thought it was an excellent idea to not have to compete for venues around holiday time.
Also visited a couple of times for the Fathers' Day show, but recently parental duties have gotten in the way.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Do you folks still do the "After Christmas Party"? I attended one, many many moons ago, at 'The Stinking Rose'(?). I thought it was an excellent idea to not have to compete for venues around holiday time.
Also visited a couple of times for the Fathers' Day show, but recently parental duties have gotten in the way.
Gordy, this must indeed have been many moons ago. I'm a member for about 10 years now (and membership liaison for almost as long) and I've never seen or heard about an "After Christmas Party" or "The Stinking Rose" -- but I'll ask about it at next week's club meeting. :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Then there was the "Famous" National convention, Alfa Com Amore, 1986, my wife was on the track at Westwood (RIP) in our GTV when it caught Fire! With the car out of commission and covered with dry chemical we put it in Don Best's garage and went for the rest of the festivities at Whistler. Do you think the folks at Whistler would allow us to close the road and do a hill climb from the bridge at Fitzsimmon's creek to the upper day lodge! Things have changed! Ciao, Joe and Lynn Faherty NWARC

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
The loss of Westwood brings tears to many eyes. Whistler may just be a question of money. :D

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Gordy, this must indeed have been many moons ago. I'm a member for about 10 years now (and membership liaison for almost as long) and I've never seen or heard about an "After Christmas Party" or "The Stinking Rose" -- but I'll ask about it at next week's club meeting. :D
IIRC, it must have been 1997 or 1998 I came up there with Steve Schaeffer - I think the "Rose" was east of North Van, but too distant a memory for this feeble mind. It was back in the timeframe when Mike Hickman was doing the group seating for the Vancouver IndyCar races and before they moved the track to False Creek.

·
Registered
51 Posts
... Whistler may just be a question of money. :D
It will take ALOT of money (ie: Olympic-size) before anything like a lil' ol' car race will happen...

;)

On another note, it's nice to see you've gotten this page set up here.

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
On another note, it's nice to see you've gotten this page set up here.
Thanks, Peter -- and welcome to AlfaBB (for those who don't know him, Peter runs the Ferrari Dino GT4 registry).

BTW, Simon made a whole forum available, not just a web page. Anybody can start new threads here (e.g. one with Westwood memories).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh man. Now I wish I hadn't sold my Alfa. But I'm looking for another! :D
In one of the most recent monthly club-meeting email reminders, various Alfas were listed for sale that appeared in the various local ad services (Buy & Sell, craigslist, Vancouver Sun/The Province newspapers, etc), as well as a recently-restored Fiat Spider owned by one of the club members...

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hi there from the ARCC!

Hi folks! It`s nice to see that you are having lots of great Alfa and Italian car activities out there in BC!

Who is your leader these days, and how can I contact him or her?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
We currently do not have a formal club anymore, but many of the former members keep meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of the month as described above. I used to be the membership liaison and took over organizing the Fathers Day event. So, I may be a good contact to relay information. I'll send you an e-mail with my contact information.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Last Sat we had "Alfas By The Bay" in Birch Bay, WA just south of the border. We had 1 Canadian come down for it and 4 from the general Seattle area. It was our 1st event, so it was small, but we hope it do something at least every year. I guess I could have posted it here, but really with the last post being 6 years old, doubtful anyone up there still reads this form. I'm hearing there is some interest in getting an Alfa thing going again and would welcome it:)

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Richard, that there isn't much posting activity in this sticky thread seems only logical, as it was intended to communicate when and where we meet. There are other threads with more activity, usually concerning the Fathers Day car show and other local events. So, for next year, I suggest you may want to create a new thread in this sub-forum or come up to one of our informal meetings on the 2nd Tuesday of the month and let us know about it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi folks! It`s nice to see that you are having lots of great Alfa and Italian car activities out there in BC!

Who is your leader these days, and how can I contact him or her?

Thanks!
Ahh, I see you're from Ste Anne De Bellevue! An old stomping ground for me as I went to John Abbott College back in the '90s (I lived in Pierrefonds at the time, now I'm in Vancouver).

"tubut" will help you out with any west coast Alfa needs/leads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.