Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear People here,

I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm in the correct place here, otherwise please correct me.

I have the following issue:
The left side member of my Giulia Nuova Super from 1976 needs to be replaced, so I ordered a reproduction part from a well known shop.

I need to replace the side member itself and the coverplate inside it, but realized the following problem:

While the new side member itself fits the car nicely, the new cover/stiffening plate doesn't fit at all, it won't even fit inside the side member that came with it.

I thought it was a mixup of parts, but after some phone calls and emails with many European suppliers, they all told me the same:

There is only one company rebuilding the part, and it simply is the way it is, and requires "some modification" by "bending the side member wider, in order to fit the cover plate".
This seems like a terrible idea to me, since the steering box directly bolts to the inner fender and this part of the side member, so there is no room for fussing about.I hope my English is good enough to transfer the issue, together with the attached images.

So my question to you: Where do I get a side member and coverplate that actually fits? I refuse to believe that there are really only these ones... Some of you surely have replaced one yourself?

Here are the new parts: (the wide part is directly there, where the bolt for the steering box goes through)

Here is the rest of my old cover plate compared to the new one:

Thanks for taking the time to help and reading this!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
......There is only one company rebuilding the part, and it simply is the way it is, and requires "some modification" by "bending the side member wider, in order to fit the cover plate"..This seems like a terrible idea to me....
Firstly...welcome to theAlfabb! and the painfull world of "Epoca Alfa Romeo"....and yes that is a poor suggestion. If it were me....I would section the part down the middle up to the point where the width is the same as the original and by using your original as the master template. Then pull the side flanges in to the correct width......cut out a pie shaped portion of the extra material then butt weld down the middle.

.....So my question to you: Where do I get a side member and cover plate that actually fits? I refuse to believe that there are really only these ones... Some of you surely have replaced one yourself?
Believe it. You are talking about cars that are 50 plus years old .....original parts have been used up in most cases long ago. The problem you have is not unusual for reproduction parts. I many cases the supplier will simply make the reproduction from a different model car and it if seems similar to another model...they will offer it for sale claiming that it is the correct part.
That said.....every so often NOS parts do come up on Ebay from sellers who have found NOS parts from somewhere in their old storage locations or their garage attics. I found a few such NOS parts years ago......but today...much less is available.

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
There is a reason I gave up buying new reproduction panel parts ...

Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it were me....I would section the part down the middle up to the point where the width is the same as the original and by using your original as the master template. Then pull the side flanges in to the correct width......cut out a pie shaped portion of the extra material then butt weld down the middle.
Thanks, that is similar to what I had in mind, although I'm also thinking about taking the time to rebuild the entire cover plate, just so I can send the non fitting part back, since I'm very unhappy with the customer support... The seller who actually sold it to me was the least informative and helpful of them all :ROFLMAO: - But I don't have the time for it right now, we'll see...

I just wanted to make sure, that there really aren't good ones being sold right now, before I go through the extra work and reward the wrong seller with my purchase. Given the fact that the actual side member fits so well, and that there are so many Giulias from that time still arround, I simply refused to believe that no one else did it better.

There is a reason I gave up buying new reproduction panel parts ...
To be honest, the side member itself is pretty good, and the rear corners I ordered also are of decent quality - But of course everything is different... If I had more tools for shaping sheet metal more effectively, and more a little more time to practice, I would like to become quicker at making my own parts. Hoperfully in the future...

Try TST Rettberg in Hamburg
I'll check with them, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I wasn't able to source the part, so I fixed mine. I recreated the profile of the cover plate in CAD and came up with a two piece die to hold it in place and shape the new correct profile. I printed it on my standard hobby 3D printer in plain PLA (0.6mm nozzle, 30% Infill, 12 Perimeters, roughly 25 hours of print time). After some failed attempts, (bad PLA) I came up with this as my final result, it fits the car like a glove now:

I roughly straightened up the outer part first, then finished it on some piece of round stock as an anvil. Then I heated up to a nice red to a nice red colour to remove tensions from the bending process and put it back inbetween my dies. After some persuasive hammering, I then ended up with the final result you saw earlier, here is some pictures of the entire process:

Lastly it seems that I can't add my STL files to this post. If anyone is interested, feel free to either tell me how to do it, or send me a PM and I'll send you the files directly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts