Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed the battery light came on on the way to work last week and usual voltage just a hair over 14v slowly started dropping until everything went dim. Charged the battery and limped the car over to the garage and hooked up meter which read 12.33 at the alternator and 12.23 at the battery.

Found a rebuilt alternator at the local pick-n-pull and swapped the whole unit out instead of just the regulator...car has 151k miles so might as well, it was cheap enough. Started up and verified charging 14.34 at the alternator and 14.23 at the battery, so all is well now and back to driving her on my weekly commute.

The most likely culprit was the voltage regulator which looks to be in very poor shape!

*Note, for better access, it is a good idea to remove the upper radiator support bracket or at least push it out of the way in order to rotate the alternator out of there. Since I had a spare long bottom bolt, I cut the original one so I didn't have to mess with the fixed coolant pipe. I reverse the bolt and it has worked fine since and no problems with it backing out or the unit becoming loose so far.

Now to clean the 4 wheel sensors and replace the overhead console.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Nice work, essential to have an electrical system in good shape on these cars.

Just to add, I have removed the alternator through the hole left after removing the right headlight. The headlight is relatively easy to remove - two screws on a bracket to the inner wheelarch, two screws through the plastic at the radiator end of the headlight (I know you know, but in case anyone wonders.) Unlike for certain newer Alfas (like my 156) where the bumper has to come off to remove a headlight...

I have also replaced brushes-only when regulators are unobtainable (therefore, I think it is worth keeping the one you removed ;)) Best done with a large electric soldering iron acting quickly so as not to fill the braid with solder.

By the way, I love your GTV/Spider wheels and 364 Verde colour. It looks high in the front but perhaps that was after the front was raised and before it settled down again?

-Alex

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex, removing the headlight probably would have been an easier way now that I think about it. I kept the old regulator just for the hell of it, but I think I'd rather just buy a new one if the old went out...

Thanks for the complements! It's hard to tell in the picture, but the driveway is on a downward slope as well as an angle, so it sits funny. I had these wheels on my 164S and when I sold it, I kept the wheels, they always seem to make the car a little more sport-like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts