Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum and I am thinking of having someone restore a 1978 Alfetta GT for me. I am in no rush at all. I was thinking of something like a year to get it done. I wanted to know who you all think could do this. Bobcor Alfa seems to be under a new owner and they won't answer my email request, and there is no phone number for me to call down there.
I am looking for the person who is the one that you all would use without hesitation.
Any help would be just great!
Thanks,
Warren

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi Warren,

Check out my Restoration of my GTV6 and let me know what you think. It is under cchan 82 gtv6 restoration on this bb.

·
Registered
883 Posts
cchan continues to do an amazing job on his restoration, but I don't think he's "for hire" so to speak...I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

I have to apply the standard disclaimer on this (I don't know these guys or the actual detailed quality of their work. Thus YMMV immensely), but it looks like these guys do some achingly good work: Alfa Restore

Have you owned the car for a while and want it refreshed? What is its present condition?

Most importantly: Welcome! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all that restoration is awesome! I don't know if you are for hire, but if you are I would love to talk to you. I am going to look into that place that Echo Leader mentioned as well.
As for my present Alfa... I don't have one yet. I was going to start out by having the builder/restorer work with me on that. I am looking for something like a 1978 Alfetta GT
Thanks for the welcome!
Warren

·
Registered
883 Posts
Very interesting! It will be cool to see another Alfetta restoration.

Another restorer option is Vintage Customs. The owner (I believe) is BB member 'akitaman'. The website only has examples of projects involving Bertone era GTVs, but I don't know if that indicates they only work on them or not....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Who is Biba???

:eek::eek::eek: Who is Biba!!??? :eek::eek::eek:

Well, he is only THE MASTER of Alfettas in the Northern Hemisphere. A cult leader, a guru, a Shiva - Shankara !!!! ;)

Seriously, Biba restorations will give you a great car.
Send him an e-mail, if shipping isn't an issue and he has the time......it'll be a great Alfetta GT when he's done!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Warren, since I heard my name mentioned, thought I'd at least chime in. I have to say you are the first person I've ever heard say they wanted someone to restore their Alfetta GT. Since my daily driver is a '75 Alfetta GT I feel I can make a few comments regarding their restoration. First I'll say that mostly by chance, I specialize in restoring Alfa Spiders - especially 69's but also 750/101 Spiders. Most, not all, owners say they don't want to get 'upside down' on the restoration. Meaning of course spending 'considerably' (a very relative term) more on the restoration than the car is worth. Therefore the '69 Spider I currently have in the shop is, in my opinion, a somewhat budget restoration. The '58 Spider Veloce definitely isn't.

If one accepts that 'logic' then no shop could afford to restore an Alfetta GT and not have the owner be major "upside down' on the project.

Caveats aside, in my opinion if someone has a car they really like, is a keeper, who is to say what is logical? Incidently I always tell the clients they Will be upside down on the project, at least to some extent.

I'm trying to get a few cars out of my small shop that have just been sitting here, but at the moment have no room for another car. However, if you're truly serious about a complete restoration, please keep me in mind, unless you are in a hurry to get started. And, yes, Mark is correct, I will give you a great car. Please do go to the URL that Vinny included.

Yes, I'm a long way away. Current '69 Spider is from the San Francisco area. The previous one was shipped from Ohio.

Biba

FWIW when I give a plug for my business, hopefully some of the information is also relevant to others reading the post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your input. I think I am not fully explaining what I want to do... As for a restoration... I am looking for pretty much what your shop offers. I want the car to appear new. I want it to be pretty much perfect. But what I didn't explain was that I don't yet have an Alfetta GT. I was looking for a shop to find one and restore it for me. I figured that a shop like yours would be far better at finding an excellent candidate for restoration. I should probably call you, but I know that you guys are so busy that I was trying to do some homework before I started calling people and taking up their time.
I also wanted to make the car a bit different with things like maybe later model seats, and air conditioning. lease let me know if this is crazy (well we know the answer to that) or something that you would be willing to do.
tanks again for chiming in.
Warren

·
Registered
750 Posts
Warren,
Are you really attached to getting the GT because of the total package or more so because of looks? I ask because if you are talking about updating the seats, etc. - it would probably be far easier to find a gtv6 and then get the body trim of an Alfetta GT onto it. This is something I would love to do if I were to get a second Alfa.

of course if you are set on the 2.0 motor, smooth hood, and 4-lug wheels than never mind.

GV

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
"I am looking for the person who is the one that you all would use without hesitation."

Frank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a combination of the engine and the smooth lines of the Alfetta GT.
I also love the tachometer centered over the steering wheel and all
the other instruments in the center.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Warren, I was going to send you an email and was also going to suggest if you want not only an Alfetta GT but to also upgrade it, just as GV suggested, might be to get an '85 or later GTV6. You've not said, but have you driven an Alfetta GT and/or a GTV6? And is it the looks primarially which attracts you to these cars?

As mentioned my daily driver is a '75 Alfetta GT. I have modified it to the extent of making it like it was originally designed. Euro bumpers, and the intake system/hardware is to Euro specs. When having the seats recoverd, I had them add front bolsters to the seats to give my legs more support. My car came with factory installed A/C though was pretty anemic. While I've never had it charged up I've replaced the (US made York compressor with Italian made compressor clutch) with a later rotary style compressor.

I didn't mention but I also have another Alfetta GT which needs serious restoration. It came with a US installed A/C system which then has a very large 'bump' in the lower section of the dash to accomodate a larger condensor. I'm told these work quite well. I'll also be installing later GTV6 seats in it along with a Twin Spark engine.

However, there would be a lot of advantages in starting with a GTV6. I owned one for a couple of years and loved it, but absolutely hated the fact it had a rubber timing 'chain'. I also didn't like the additional weight of the V6 engine over the front wheels. Given the choice I'd start with a GTV6, remove all of the plastic cladding, install a TS - somewhat or a lot warmed up - and then install an Alfetta GT hood since I also don't like the GTV6 hood bump with tea tray.

Frank, I've never restored a (pre '75) GTV, if that is what you have in mind, but would be happy to. However, I hear nothing but good things regarding Vintage Customs and they obviously know a lot about the GTV. I suspect they'd try to talk you into turning it into a race car - which might, or might not appeal to you.

Biba

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My master plan was ;) to have an alfetta (never thought of your GTV 6 with TS) for spring/summer then a 1967 Land Rover 88 diesel for winter. But the Alfetta would have to live through one winter driving in everything except snow I have a Honda Element AWD for that, but It will become my son's car after next winter. That way I could play with 2 totally different cars in different seasons. I liked what people are saying about the balance of the Alfetta. I drove a GTV6 and did enjoy it. I just don't like the hood and my perceived concept of maintaining the Alfa 6 cyl as opposed to the 4 cyl engine. I also love the overall look of the Alfetta GT and love what you did with the seats on your website of I am guessing yours. Maybe you can just sell me yours next spring!:)

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Warren, this is such a cliche, but if you're willing/capable of spending a good amount of money - and I'm sure this applies to whoever restores the car - you can get pretty much whatever you want. And if this appeals to you, it can have many characteristics of a modern car, yet in a 'vintage' (also a very relative term) car. This is the main reason I want to install a TS in the 'other' Alfetta.

While So. Cal., as the world knows doesn't get much rain, my Alfetta GT does quite well in it and on inexpensive Yokohama 195 65 14's. Yes, a very well balanced car. It also has never leaked in the interior. Also has a great (in my opinion) heater - though only fair defrosting.

When working with a nearby automotive upholstery shop I work with I told them I wanted a front bolster like the one on the later GTV6's. They either couldn't or didn't want to go to the trouble, but showed me a photo of one with the bump so told them to go with that. I still like the GTV6 seats best, but it is a huge improvement for (in my case) skinny thighs.

Biba

OR (Old Red) I'm afraid isn't for sale. Besides, it no longer needs to be smogged. What are NY's smog testing requirements like - especially for older cars?

·
Registered
286 Posts
My master plan was ;) to have a 1967 Land Rover 88 diesel for winter.
This is my kind of talk right here. My daily driver is a NAS Defender 90 which I have converted to diesel. I'm just up the road from you in New Windsor if that sounds like the sort of thing you're interested in and you want to check it out. I love the old series trucks, but the Defender is a decent year-round vehicle, has much more tractable coil-springs, and enough power to get out of its own way! Come on over to D-90.com and hang out with us Rover guys sometime. Lots of diesel topics over there if you do a search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish Old red was for sale :) as for Land Rovers I will totally check out you guys at D90.
There is something special about the Alfetta GT. Maybe it is it's simplicity of shape with no unnecessary lines. And I figured that the cost of ownership may be "reasonable" for an Italian car ;)
Our emissions testing in NY is cars 25 years or older are exempt. So I have some leeway.
Warren

1 - 20 of 26 Posts