Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm about to finish my '69. (I really am, seriously I am) I bought some new door seals, but I don't remember from where and they where way too thick. I also do remember about a year ago a door seal discussion. But that was a while ago... So now I wonder if there's any new info.

Thanks for the insight!

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm contemplating getting the Alfaholics door seals. It seems from the BB forums that they have the best fit. Is there anyone out there that have fitted those successfully?

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
Also try Berlinista's trick before you buy. If untorn, put your old seals in an empty pillow case, warm wash in the washing machine, add lots of fabric softener. Spin dry, then leave in warm place. This technique supposedly brings original door seals back to life but haven't tried it myself. Still, what harm can be done trying?

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
I'm contemplating getting the Alfaholics door seals. It seems from the BB forums that they have the best fit. Is there anyone out there that have fitted those successfully?
I bought Cinquanani (sp?) brand seals a few years ago from Alfaholics, and I can report that they were noticibly thinner in profile than the set I had bought from a US supplier.

Two points:

- These aren't "Alfaholics" brand seals. They're Cinquanani brand. Alfaholics may be selling a different brand today and/or Cinquanani seals are probably available from other suppliers. I love Alfaholics - not trying to talk you out of giving them your business - but understand what you're buying.

- My doors - especially the drivers - is still tough to close (though it was impossible with the US sourced seals). The Cinquanani seals still take a lot of fitting, fiddling, and door latch adjusting. They probably are still thicker and/or stiffer than the seals installed by the factory back in the 1960's-70's.

·
Registered
89 Posts
ALFAHOLICS. These seals were the third set I purchased in trying to get the doors to close and are without a doubt the ONLY ones to fit, correctly!

Best Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I bought Cinquanani (sp?) brand seals a few years ago from Alfaholics, and I can report that they were noticibly thinner in profile than the set I had bought from a US supplier.......
Just a small correction Jay. These guys are called Cicognani and are the only folks I would buy seals from(that is to say from now on at least) .....check out their vast offerings....

Guarnizioni per auto storiche

They can communicate in English as well (I believe).

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, weren't Cicognani the OEM suppliers for the rubber bits back then? It seems that I read that somewhere. if that is the case, the door seals should be fairly close to the original profile, I would think.

Regardless, I've ordered from them fairly recently (no door seals, though) and the only irritating thing is that they do not accept credit cards - i think I ended up having to do an international wire transfer, which is a bit of a pain in the butt. The pieces arrived in good time, though, so no issues there. I'd buy from them again.

Robert

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
A point to remember. At least some of the door closing problems people experience after changing to new seals (even Cicognani) comes from a misaligned door. Even if the door closed perfectly before the new seals will most likely effect the way it closes in one way or another. The door hinges and striker plates are all adjustable and a little work on the doors can make a big difference. While you can do this successfully on your own, a recent conversation with an expert convinced me that taking a car with new seals to someone who does this work professionally is a good idea. A good restoration shop would be a good place to have the doors adjusted.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
I have also heard from a couple of experienced body shops in the UK that some reproduction sills are also a factor, in that they can be slightly too tall and this has the effect of minutely reducing the size of the door aperture itself, which will adversely affect the ease of closure especially when taking into account harder modern door seals. I have never had original and modern sills to measure and compare, so I can only suggest that this is hearsay, but it might be something to consider.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My vote definately goes to the seals that Alfaholics sells. I had a bugger of a time getting my passenger door to close, even after all the adjustments that are possible-hinges, door striker, window adjusters etc.

That useless seal was purchased from one of the US vendors and was way too stiff and thick. The Alfaholics/Cicognani door seal is so much better in every respect that I think I should mention who I bought the crap seal from even though I don't usually like to slag anyone here on the board but in this case, the quality was just so poor that I don't know how anyone can sell that seal and NOT be named.

It was Centerline. Shame on you for selling such junk!

I'll detail my experiences in more detail in my own thread in the Restoration section when I get a chance to get more photos taken.

Here's one of the door with the Centerline seal installed and hours of adjusting just to get to this sad state sticking out proud about half an inch:mad::

DSCF4692.jpg

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
My classic alfa ones arent great, now been on for 12months, closing easier, but still a hefty slam.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I just ordered the Alfaholics door seal, hopefully that will do it... I'll post pics when I get them on the car.

Cheers, Nick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Let us know how you get on Nick. Like Jamie I am still having a heavy slam to get both doors shut. At first I thought it was the doors but having had both seals off they close easily without the seals just by letting them go with the door open 6 inches.

I would be delighted to find some that didn't require me to close the passenger door for those not familiar with the car ! and get strange looks from other classic owners who seem to have no problems in this area.

I am concious ambitious claims have been made on this site before about 'new' suppliers but seems when the time comes these don't seem to get definitively endorsed by ringing recommendations...........

Andy :confused:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Just for the record, our seals aren't the Cicognani ones, they're a different production entirely and are slimmer than those.

As for the door fit, when we build a car we send a set of seals and all the metal channels to the paintshop. They then build the car around the door seals (literally!) before painting it. Even then we find that while we're building the car up the doors need a decent push to shut them. After a few months everything beds in and by the time the car comes back for first service they close nicely.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
....Just for the record, our seals aren't the Cicognani ones, they're a different production entirely and are slimmer than those. ....
Jim, have Alfaholics used the Cicognani seals in the past? Can I assume that you have but weren't happy with them and so opted to source an alternate supplier...or possibly had them made to your spec?

A couple of years ago I purchased mine from Classsicalfa...I was assured that they were of Cicognani manufacture...they preliminary trial fit on my car seemed not bad...although as well for me a decent push is required to shut the door.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Jim, have Alfaholics used the Cicognani seals in the past? Can I assume that you have but weren't happy with them and so opted to source an alternate supplier...or possibly had them made to your spec?
Jim:

I'd also like to hear the answer to that question.

I am 99% certain that the seals I got from Alfaholics in March 2008 had Cicognani tags on them. If Alfaholics now carries a seal with a smaller profile, I might just pop for a new set to solve my door gap/slamming issue.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yes we did sell the Cicognani ones as they were the best that were then available. Then we got offered the current ones. We've had these new ones for about 18 months now so anything sold before then would have been Cicognani.

There's not much wrong with the Cico ones especially compared to some others on the market, it's just that we've found that these new ones allow the doors to fit better.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Yes we did sell the Cicognani ones as they were the best that were then available. Then we got offered the current ones. We've had these new ones for about 18 months now so anything sold before then would have been Cicognani.
So this is the "GT main door seal" shown on the Alfaholics website at £39.50 (= $62.38 USD), right? There's no photo or part number shown on the website, but "GT main door seal" sure sounds like the part we're discussing.

If this brand of seal really fits better, and is priced at only sixty-two bucks apiece (Centerline sells GT door seals for $88 each), then this is the deal of the Century. Jim: Why didn't you tell us about this sooner?

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is the door seal I bought from Alfaholics about a month ago and just installed on my car. The door closes flush with the body with only a small push needed to get it to do so. The door still needed a bit of adjustment with the hinges and door strikler to get to this point but I'm happy:).
It's apparent how much difference in thickness these door seals have from different suppliers, but my vote goes to Alfaholics in this particular instance at least.

DSCF4983.jpg

This looks a lot better than the US sourced seal:cool:.

DSCF5021.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts